NYC DOT Customer Service

Report a Problem

Street Defects



Cave-ins are jagged holes with a deep void, where the pavement has cracked apart and fallen into a deep empty space without a solid bottom. Cave-ins are larger and deeper than potholes and are not geometrically shaped like a defective street cut. Cave-ins are typically caused by problems with the underground infrastructure. Often, large pieces of pavement can be seen in the hole. NYC DOT inspects reported cave-ins and, as warranted, sends the report to Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) or another utility to make a repair. Report a cave-in on a street via NYC311 Report a cave-in on a highway via NYC311



Hummocks are where the roadway asphalt has pushed up in a wave-like shape. They are commonly located at intersections where there is heavy truck or bus traffic. NYC DOT typically follows up with spot milling and paving, which may performed during the nonpaving season, from mid-December to mid-March. Report a hummock or street resurfacing request online to NYC311



Ponding is when water pools at low points in the roadway, generally as a result of inadequate drainage or improper grading. Report ponding on a street to DEP online to NYC311 Report ponding on a highway to DEP online to NYC311

Missing Manhole Covers

Missing Manhole Cover

Report missing manhole covers to DEP online to NYC311

Street Hardware Defects

Other Street Hardware

Street hardware may be sunken, cracked, missing, tilted, collapsed or may be above or below grade thereby preventing a smooth riding condition. Typically, a NYC DOT inspector will review the defect. If actionable, NYC DOT will issue a corrective action report to the appropriate utility owner. Report cracked, missing or otherwise defective street hardware online to NYC311

Defective Street Cuts

Defective Street Cut

Defective street cut restoration is when the street surface is no longer level because a filled-in cut has sunken one inch or more or been mounded too high. Street cuts are usually square or rectangular in shape. Typically, a NYC DOT inspector will review the defect. If actionable, the inspector will issue a corrective action report to the party that performed the street cut, including to other city agencies. If the responsible party cannot be identified, NYC DOT will perform the repair. Report a failed street cut or old utility cut online to NYC311 See a list of protected streets (no cuts allowed except for emergency work or as authorized by the Commissioner) Find out who holds a permit to conduct street construction in your neighborhood

Open Street Cut

Open Street Cut

Open street cuts are when a street excavation has been left uncovered, generally because there is active work in the roadway. Typically, a NYC DOT inspector will review the defect. If actionable, inspector will contact responsible excavator, and in the absence of the responsible party or other response personnel, will stay onsite until parties arrive. Report an open street cut online to NYC311 Find the permit-holder for a street construction project



A hole in the street with a circular or ovular shape and a definable bottom. The bottom may be the concrete roadway base and may be partially filled with mud, dirt, or loose gravel. Condition does not look manmade and usually is not sitting in an area of collapse. To be 'actionable' the pothole should be at least one foot in diameter and three inches deep. Typically, a NYC DOT inspector will check the pothole. If actionable, NYC DOT will repair it. Report a pothole on a street online to NYC DOT Check the status of a street pothole repair on NYC DOT's website Report a pothole on a highway online to NYC311 Check the status of a highway pothole service request via NYC311

Signs, Lights and Signals

Damaged or Broken Pedestrian or Traffic Signals

Call 311 immediately to report broken traffic lights or pedestrian signals. NYC DOT and its contractors will work to resolve the issue promptly. Learn more about traffic signals

Damaged or Broken Street Lights

Use this form to report a street light that is not working or get information on how to report a voltage problem (if you see a small flashing red light next to the bulb). Your report will go directly to NYC DOT's street light maintenance contractors. Report a damaged or broken Street Light to NYC DOT

Damaged or Missing Traffic Signs

NYC DOT prioritizes repairs to signs which have a direct impact on safety. These include Stop signs, One Way signs, Do Not Enter signs, Yield signs and certain school signs. Report a traffic sign that is missing, illegible, or vandalized

Street and Sidewalk Obstructions

Street and Sidewalk Construction Problems

Use NYC311 to report problems involving construction work on a sidewalk, roadway or highway. Report a sidewalk blocked by construction to NYC311 Report other street and sidewalk problems to NYC311

Improper Newsracks

Newsracks must comply with the law regulating their placement on City sidewalks. Newracks must also be maintained in a clean and neat condition. Report a problem with a sidewalk newsrack to NYC311

Illegal Sidewalk ATMs

Placing an ATM on a public sidewalk is not permitted in New York City. If an ATM is placed on a public sidewalk, NYC DOT will serve the property owner an Encroachment Notice, which requires the owner to remove the ATM within 30 days. Report an ATM on a public sidewalk to NYC311, or call 311

Request a Permit or Service


New York City Bike Maps

The New York City Bike Map is an annual free publication of NYC DOT. You can pick up a copy at bicycle shops, libraries and schools throughout the city. Learn more about the New York City Bike Map

Bikes in Buildings

The Bikes in Buildings Program aims to increase bicycle commuting by providing cyclists with secure parking during the workday. The Program is based on the Bicycle Access to Office Buildings Law, which requires commercial office buildings to allow cyclists to bring bicycles into their offices by elevator, upon request. Learn more about Bikes in Buildings

Bicycle Parking

Because of the great interest, it may take a considerable amount of time before NYC DOT can investigate new requests. Suggest a new bicycle rack location or report a bike rack issue

Commercial Vehicles

Intercity Bus Permits

NYC DOT has been authorized by the New York State Legislature to implement a permit system for intercity bus operators. This system requires intercity bus operators to apply for a permit from NYC DOT before they can make on-street stops in the city. The permit approval process will include consultation with local communities and the MTA and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, where appropriate, ensuring the involvement of stakeholders in the process. Learn more about Intercity Bus Permits Apply for an Intercity Bus Permit via

Request a Truck Route Map

Order a copy of the current edition of the New York City Truck Route Map through the mail.

Oversize vehicles

Vehicles on New York City's roadways are subject to size and weight restrictions. Apply for a permit for an overdimensional vehicle


Express Lane Permits

Express Lane Permits enable ambulettes, commuter vans and shuttles and other mass transit fleets to use the high occupancy vehicle lanes leading to the Queens Midtown and Brooklyn Battery Tunnels. Download the Express Lane Permit application


Not-For-Profit Organization (State disability)
If you represent a Not-for-Profit Organization operating in New York City and servicing a community of people with disabilities you may apply for a State Parking Permit for People with Disabilities (PPPD). State Parking Permit for People with Disabilities (PPPD) for Not-for-Profit Organizations

Agency Business Parking Permits

Agency Business Parking Permits are available for City, State or Federal agencies whose employees need to park while conducting official business. Apply for an Agency Business Parking Permit

Annual On-Street Parking Permits

Annual On-Street Parking Permits are available for not-for-profits to help carry out their mission. The permits allow vehicles limited standing and parking privileges in loading zones and at parking meters. Apply for an Annual On-Street Parking Permit

Clergy Parking Permits

Representative of houses of worship can apply for a parking permit for clergy conducting ministerial duties at their houses of worship, funeral homes and hospitals. Learn more about the Clergy Parking Permit Apply for a Clergy Parking Permit

Parking Permits for People with Disabilities

NYC DOT issues two types of permits for citizens with disabilities— a New York State permit and a New York City permit. There are different eligibility requirements and different uses for these permits. Learn more about Parking Permits for People with Disabilities Apply for a Parking Permit for People with Disabilities Report a lost or stolen permit Report a never-received permit Temporarily change the vehicle on a NYC Parking Permit for People with Disabilities

Municipal Parking Field Permits

Purchase a monthly pass to park at certain municipal parking facilities. Download the Municipal Parking Field Permit application (pdf)

Street Works Permits

Backfills and Base and Wearing Courses

After finishing street work, permittees are required to restore all street openings and excavations. Report a Backfill, Base or Wearing Course

Street Construction Permits

The construction industry and government agencies must apply for permits to perform roadway, building and sidewalk construction on City streets and non-toll bridges. NYC DOT's Street Works Manual has complete information on street construction permits Permitees can check the status of active street construction permits throughout New York City.

Certificates of Insurance

Permit applications for street construction must include a notarized statement by the insurance broker or insurance company attesting to the accuracy of the coverage described on the certificate and an acceptable Certificate of Insurance (pdf). Learn more about the conditions for requirements for street construction permit applications

Sidewalk Repair

NYC DOT's goal is to make the City's sidewalks safe for pedestrians. NYC DOT replaces more than 2 million square feet of sidewalk a year, mostly on City-owned property and in residential neighborhoods. Despite the large scale of repairs, this amounts to less than 1% of the City’s total sidewalk area each year. NYC DOT relies on property owners to maintain the rest of the sidewalks. Learn more about NYC DOT’s sidewalk repair programs

Permits by Mail

Private homeowners can apply for a sidewalk repair permit by mail if they are making a repair themselves and/or if the permit is in response to a sidewalk violation. Learn more about requesting a permit by mail

Revocable Consents & Franchises

Revocable Consents

Apply for a revocable consent to permit the use of public space for a private purpose, such as a sidewalk café or steam pipes and telecommunication conduits underground. Most applications must include a plan drawn by a professional engineer or registered architect. The plan review checklist describes the requirements. Download the petition form for revocable consents

Concessions Solicitation List

If you are interested in being on NYC DOT's concession solicitation list, please complete the Concessions Mailing List form. Find out more about doing business with NYC DOT


NYC DOT's Adopt-A-Highway Program is an opportunity for on-location sponsorship for the businesses, organizations, or individuals that give back to their communities by providing clean and beautiful highways.


The Adopt-A-Greenway program is a tax-deductible opportunity for proud New Yorkers to give back to their community by ensuring clean and beautiful pedestrian and bicycle paths in New York City. Learn more about the Adopt-A-Greenway Program

Signs and Signals

Sign Shop

NYC DOT’s Sign Shop creates the street signs installed throughout the five boroughs of New York City. These signs serve a variety of purposes, including curbside parking regulations, intersection control signs, guide signs, and street names signs. Learn more about the Sign Shop

Banner Permits

Apply to install a banner promoting a public event or a cultural exhibit on any property within NYC DOT's jurisdiction. Learn more about Banner Permits

Holiday Lighting

Business Improvement Districts, Local Development Corporations and other groups may use this form to request approval to install temporary festoon/holiday lighting and/or other temporary lighting attached to City street light poles and/or any other electrical equipment. Apply for a Holiday Lighting Permit

Street Furniture and Hardware


NYC DOT installs and maintains benches and leaning bars on sidewalks and plazas. The benches and leaning bars may be used by all NYC residents, workers, and visitors. Suggest a Seating location or report a Seating problem

Street Seats

Street Seats are outdoor public open spaces and seating installed in places where sidewalk seating is not available. During warm-weather months, when the demand to spend time outdoors increases, Street Seats may temporarily replace a few parking spots with neighborhood gathering places perfect for eating, reading, working, meeting a friend, or taking a rest. Learn about applying for a Street Seat

Traffic Signals and Rules

Neighborhood Slow Zones

Neighborhood Slow Zones is a community-based program that reduces the speed limit from 25 mph to 20 mph and adds safety measures within a select area in order to change driver behavior. The goal of Neighborhood Slow Zone is to lower the incidence and severity of crashes. Learn more about Neighborhood Slow Zones

New Traffic Signals

NYC DOT uses a detailed process called an intersection control study to determine if traffic signals or multi-way stop signs are appropriate for a location. Learn about how NYC DOT decides to install traffic signals Write to the NYC DOT Commissioner to request a new signal

One-way Street Conversions

All proposals for one-way street conversions must first be reviewed by the local Community Board to ensure that there is general community agreement to the proposed change. Therefore, citizens should first make a request in writing to the local Community Board. The Community Board will review the proposed change and, if the Board supports the change, they will forward the request to NYC DOT for investigation. Find your Community board