FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Release #16-078
Scott Gastel/Jose Bayona (212) 839-4850
Advisory: Schedule for Full Closures of FDR Drive on Upper East Side This WeekendTraffic to be closed in both directions as portions of The Rockefeller University are constructed over the roadway
The New York City DOT advises the overnight full closures of the FDR Drive in both directions between 61st Street and 96th Street through August 16th, 2016 (weather permitting).
These closures are necessary to facilitate construction of The Rockefeller University – being built above the roadway.
This weekend, the FDR Drive will be closed from Friday night through Monday morning during overnight hours, as follows:
- Saturday, August 6th from 1:00 am to 6:00 am
- Sunday, August 7th from 1:30 am to 7:00 am
- Monday, August 8th from 12:30 am to 5:00 am
During the full closure traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Southbound traffic will exit at 96th Street, and use Second Avenue to 42nd Street to reenter the FDR drive.
- During the closures the southbound entrance ramps at Third Avenue Bridge, 125th Street, 116th Street, 92nd Street, 79th Street and 73rd Street will be closed.
- Northbound traffic will exit at 61st Street, be directed to First Avenue, and follow detour signs to 96th Street to re-enter the FDR drive.
- During the closures the northbound entrance ramps at 34th, 42nd, and 62nd Streets will be closed.
- The southbound FDR Drive 34th Street exit will be closed.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:30 am on weekdays, 6:30 am on Saturday, and 11:00 am on Sunday.
A single lane closure will be implemented on the FDR Drive (both directions) at around 11 pm, then a double lane closure will be implemented around 11:30 pm.
During this project, motorists should anticipate delays in the vicinity of the work zones, and should plan accordingly.
All work is weather dependent. Work is anticipated to continue into August, and DOT will issue weekly updates to highlight the scheduled closures -- as hours and days are expected to vary.