Truck Driver FAQ

Return to Trucks & Commercial Vehicles

Traveling on NYC Roadways

What roads are appropriate for trucks in New York City?

The New York City Truck Route Network is a set of roads that commercial vehicles must use in New York City. Please refer to the New York City Traffic Rules for the most current traffic regulations governing truck routes as well as permissible truck weight and dimensions. The truck route network is comprised of two distinct classes of roadways, Local Truck Routes and Through Truck Routes. Download a map of the truck route network. As a general rule, trucks and commercial vehicles cannot travel on most parkways in New York City. More information about parkway restrictions is available online.

Where can I find information about low clearances and avoiding bridge strikes?

Clearance information for major New York City crossings is available on the New York City Truck Route Map (pdf). Review tips for avoiding parkways.

Is there a GIS version of the New York City Truck Route Map?

The New York City Truck Routes map data is available in shapefile on NYC Open Data.

State Highway Road Closures and Traveling Outside of NYC

Where can I learn more about restrictions and closures for NY state roadways?

Information about weather related and other closures for NY state highways and New York roadways outside of New York City can be obtained by calling 511 or visiting Additional support for trucks traveling on Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk Counties) is available by contacting the NYSDOT Long Island office at (631) 952-6022.

Where can I get more resources on NYC regional commercial transportation?

Information about regional resources can be obtained in the following locations:

Commercial Vehicle Identification, Class, and Licenses

What do I need to know about the identification regulations for my truck?

The New York City Traffic Rules require that commercial vehicles display the registrant's name and address on both sides of the vehicle. This is described in Section 4.08 of the Traffic Rules. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issues vehicle identification numbers, known as USDOT numbers, to commercial vehicles that operate interstate to transport passengers, or haul cargo. New York State requires interstate commercial motor vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT number. For more information, contact the FMCSA at 800-832-5660. Highway Use Tax (HUT) numbers are administered by the New York State Department of Tax and Finance. For information call 1-800-980-5437 or (in New York State) 518-388-5245, or visit OSCAR.

Where can I learn about obtaining or renewing a Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDL)?

Information about commercial licenses and driving regulations can be found through the NYSDMV and FMCSA.

Where can I find information about US commercial vehicle category classifications?

Basic information about how commercial vehicles are defined in NYC can be found on theTrucks and Commercial Vehicle Classifications page. Additional information and a chart detailing commercial vehicle classifications can be found on the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) website.

Truck Size and Weight Regulations

What are the dimensional and weight restrictions for trucks operating in the City?

Tractor-trailer vehicle combinations not exceeding 13′6″ in height, 8′ in width, and 55′ in length can travel on interstates and truck routes. The maximum allowed length of single unit vehicles, such as box-trucks, is 35′. Maximum weight limit for vehicles is 80,000 pounds or less, depending upon axle spacing. Bridges or viaducts may have lower weight limits posted. More information about truck size and weight restrictions.

How can I apply for a permit to operate my over-dimensioned vehicle in the City?

Vehicles exceeding the maximum dimensions must obtain a daily over-dimensional vehicles permit for each portion of a trip (for example, one permit is needed to travel to a destination within the City and another is needed to travel back out). More information about the permit process and application forms. Additional help with Daily Over-Dimensional Permits is available from NYC DOT by calling 212-839-6341.

Truck Parking Regulations

Where is it legal for me to park my truck in New York City?

When parking is not otherwise restricted, no person shall park a commercial vehicle in any area, including a residential area, in excess of three hours. Where a posted sign reads "No Standing Except Trucks Loading and Unloading," commercial vehicles may stand or park in that area, for the purpose of expeditiously making pickups, deliveries or service calls. The full listing of regulations for parking, stopping and standing a vehicle in New York City can be found in Section (pdf) 4-08 of the New York City Traffic Rules. Additional details about commercial vehicle parking restrictions and regulations.

Are there any permits to reserve curb space for on-street truck parking or storage?

Currently, there are no permits for reserving curb space for temporary on-street parking of commercial vehicles for general pick-up and delivery purposes through NYC DOT. Information about provisions for construction related activity and on-street container storage. Permits associated with film shoot related commercial vehicles, trailers, and equipment are available through the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment.

Where can I find information about metered commercial parking?

Get information about metered commercial parking rates and payment options through ParkNYC.

Where can trucks legally park overnight in NYC?

Overnight residential street parking for trucks is prohibited in NYC. No person shall park a commercial vehicle on a residential street, between the hours of 9 pm and 5 am, unless it is performing work associated with heat system maintenance or a public utility. More information about parking a truck or commercial vehicle. Operators should seek out private off-street overnight parking and storage facilities in the NYC metro area. An example is the JFK Travel Plaza which features truck parking, fueling stations, and other amenities.

Carrying Hazardous Materials

What are the regulations around trucks carrying hazardous materials?

Information about regulations and markings needed for trucks carrying hazardous materials can be found on the NYSDMV website. Permits for handling hazardous materials are available through the FDNY. More information via NYC Business.

Note: Please refer to the official New York City Traffic Rules and Regulations for the most current rules governing trucks and commercial vehicles.

Still have questions? Contact NYC DOT online