This alert lists areas where major street construction projects and street events will interrupt the normal flow of traffic. This is a supplementary report to the published Weekly Traffic Advisory & Weekend Advisory.
Gridlock Alert Days
NYC DOT designates the busiest traffic days of the year as Gridlock Alert Days. 2021 Gridlock Alert Days
NYC DOT has reduced the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE), between Atlantic Avenue and the Brooklyn Bridge, from three to two lanes in both directions. This change:
- Immediately reduces weight on the roadway and help extend the use of the structure
- Promotes safety by providing dedicated entrance and exit lanes
- Provides an adequate shoulder, minimizing the impact of incidents
Drivers, be aware of new traffic patterns. There will be substantial delays on the BQE.
- Drivers of private vehicles are always encouraged to take public transportation
- Trucks and other essential vehicles should take alternate routes; maximize the use of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel and New Jersey Turnpike
In the event of a security alert or emergency, the New York City Office of Emergency Management or the New York Police Department may order unscheduled closings, checkpoints or detours on local streets, highways and river crossings. Subscribe to NYC DOT email updates Visit the NYC Street Closures Map Check the list of construction embargoes