Express Lane Permits
Express Lane Permits enable ambulettes, commuter vans and shuttles and other mass transit fleets to use the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes leading to the Queens-Midtown and Brooklyn-Battery Tunnels. All applicants must provide a list, on company letterhead, of the license plate numbers of vehicles that will use the Express Lane(s). Download express lane permit application form (pdf) Translations of NYC DOT Licenses, Permit Applications & Registrations
For buses or equivalent vehicles, provide copies of:
- Operating authority granted by the New York City Board of Estimate, New York State DOT, appropriate out-of-state operating authority, or Interstate Commerce Commission;
- Current registration for each vehicle that indicates New York State Bus license plate or out-of-state equivalent;
- Current insurance policy coverage for all vehicles (fleet policy or individual insurance cards paired with registrations);
- Proof for each vehicle of minimum seating capacity of 16 passengers, not including the driver (on registration); and
- Proof that seating capacity in each vehicle is consistent with the seating capacity set forth in the appropriate operating authority (on registration and operating authority document).
For Ambulettes or wheelchair accessible vehicles, provide copies of:
- Operating authority issued by the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission, New York State Department of Transportation, or Interstate Commerce Commission;
- Current registration for each vehicle;
- Current insurance coverage for all vehicles (fleet policy or individual insurance cards paired with registrations); and
- Current TLC For Hire/Para Vehicle Permit for each vehicle.