Millions of drivers travel along New York City roads, bridges and highways each year. NYC DOT’s Adopt-A-Highway Program is an opportunity for on-location sponsorship for the businesses, organizations, or individuals that give back to their communities by providing clean and beautiful highways.
Sponsoring a highway is an easy way to make a visible impact on your community and show your pride in being a New Yorker.
- A cleaner, greener NYC
- Display your brand 24/7
- Corporate and social responsibility
- Partner with the City of New York
Highways may be adopted by:
- Community groups
- In memory of an individual
The Adopt-A-Highway Program signage is not a forum for advertising. All sponsors are subject to NYC DOT approval.
Specific Program requirements are detailed in Section 2-21 of the New York City Highway Rules.
There are two ways to be involved:
Adopt-A-Highway: Highway Sponsorship
There are over 300 businesses, individuals, and organizations helping to make NYC's highways cleaner and greener by sponsoring highway segments (approximately one mile). Sponsors hire an approved maintenance provider to provide regular cleaning, which is monitored by NYC DOT staff.
- Sponsor coordinates cleaning service fees directly with maintenance provider
- Maintenance provider must pick-up litter, trim greenery, and maintain sign
- Optional extra services include maintaining trees or planting flowers*
- Two year commitment
- NYC DOT provides an Adopt-A-Highway sign recognizing the sponsor
Most highways under NYC DOT jurisdiction are included in the Adopt-A-Highway Program.
Sponsorship Program Info (pdf) Currently Available Segments (pdf) Current Sponsors (pdf) Approved Maintenance Providers (pdf)
Adopt-A-Highway: Volunteer to Beautify a Site
Volunteer groups, gardening clubs, neighborhood associations, families, and individuals are invited to become partners to help clean and beautify sites near highways.
The Adopt-A-Highway Volunteer Program includes:
- Cleaning sites twice a month, except when snow covers the ground.
- Planting and maintaining flowers, grass, and shrubs.*
- Volunteers put all collected debris in bags and leave the bags by the side of the road for NYC DOT crews to remove.
- NYC DOT provides vests, gloves, and garbage bags.
- Sites may be located near highway exits, entrances, or service roads.
- Free participation for volunteer groups.
- Two year commitment.
- NYC DOT posts a Beautification sign acknowledging the volunteer
Information about NYC DOT’s Adopt-A-Highway Volunteer Program (pdf)
*Planting types must be approved by NYC DOT Adopt-A-Highway staff.
Contact UsRequest more information about NYC’s Adopt-A-Highway programs
The New York State Department of Transportation administers its own Adopt-A-Highway program outside of the five boroughs. Learn more about the state program on the NYS DOT Adopt-A-Highway website