Human Resources Administration311Search all websites

Cash Assistance

Cash Assistance

Cash Assistance and COVID-19

  • End of COVID-19 Emergency Allotments to SNAP Households: Because of a change in federal law, the SNAP Emergency Allotments will stop after the February 2023 deposits. This means that households currently receiving SNAP benefits will only receive one SNAP deposit in the first half of the month starting in March. Households will not receive a second SNAP monthly deposit in the later part of the month (after the 15th). Read more for additional information.
  • Recertifications: If you receive a Cash Assistance or SNAP recertification notice by mail or an ACCESS HRA alert that you need to recertify, you must submit your recertification or your benefits will stop. You can use ACCESS HRA, fax, mail, or a drop box at open centers to submit your recertification. Please make sure that we have your correct phone number. You can check it and update it on ACCESS HRA website or the ACCESS HRA Mobile App. View the below sections to see how you can submit your recertification and supporting documents.
  • CA six-month mailer/SNAP periodic report: Starting in April 2022, all Cash Assistance and SNAP households that are due to return either a CA Six-Month Mailer or a SNAP Periodic Report must do so to keep getting benefits. Households who failed to return their mailer/report in January, February or March 2022 did not have their case closed for failing to return the mailer/report.

Returning or Submitting Documents

Need to return or submit documents? You can submit documents in the following ways:

Documentation Guide

This guide gives examples of documents you can use to give proof of information we need to decide on help for you. This guide doesn't mention every type of document. Other documents may be used, even if not on the list.

Download the guide in English, or: Español, 繁體中文, 简体中文, Русский, العربية, Kreyòl Ayisyen, 한국어, বাংলা, اردو, Polski, and Français.

Eligible families may receive up to 60 months of federally funded cash assistance under the Temporary Aid to Needy Families Program (TANF). Single individuals without children and families who have already received cash assistance for 60 months may receive benefits under the New York State Safety Net Program.

Are you eligible for Cash Assistance? Find out what documents you need to apply. Apply online through AccessHRA now.

Here are some situations that may make you eligible for additional cash assistance.

Eligible clients receiving temporary cash assistance are required to engage in work and/or educational activities in most cases. Learn more about educational opportunities on our Training and Education page.

(Those participating in an approved program can receive transportation and child care expenses so that they can meet their requirements.)

All Cash Assistance and SNAP applicants that have been approved for benefits will receive an EBT card in the mail. If your EBT card has not yet arrived, you can go to the Brooklyn OTC site for your permanent card, or one of seven open center locations for a temporary card that will have all benefits available until the EBT card arrives. Please see this list of locations.

Regarding case inquiries, HRA requires submitting a Client Consent Form to verify a client's consent before releasing case information to a third party.

Please be aware that unscrupulous individuals may use COVID-19 as an opportunity to create a scam in order to steal your personal information. Learn more about this Potential Fraud Scam Alert and other EBT Scams Alerts.

View the Protect Your Benefits - Skimming Flyer (FLY-1095) in:

Emergency Assistance

How it Works

You may be able to get help if you cannot pay your bills because you lost your job, you are getting less pay from your job, or you had another emergency like an unexpected medical situation. This help is called “Emergency Assistance” or a “One Shot Deal.”

Emergency Assistance can help you if:

  • You are experiencing homelessness or will lose your housing if you do not get help.
  • Your gas or electricity has been shut off, or you got a notice saying that it will be shut off.
  • You lost clothes, personal items, or furniture because of theft, a fire, or a natural disaster.
  • You are affected by domestic violence.
  • You have other issues that affect the health and safety of you or your family.

More Information:

  • You must have an interview to get Emergency Assistance or a One Shot Deal.
  • To get some types of Emergency Assistance, you may need to show proof that you will be able to pay that bill in the future, or that you will have help to pay it.
  • Unless you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you may be required to pay back some or all the Emergency Assistance in the future. HRA will let you know if you need to pay it back.  
  • If your income is more than a certain amount, you may be required to sign an agreement that you will pay back the Emergency Assistance. 
  • You may apply for Emergency Assistance even if you already received it before. If you were required to pay back an Emergency Assistance grant, but you did not pay it back, that may affect your eligibility to get a new one.
  • After you give HRA all the required information for your Emergency Assistance application, they will make a decision as soon as possible.  HRA will send you a notice if they need more information or documentation from you.

You can apply for Emergency Assistance online using ACCESSHRA or by visiting your nearest HRA Job Center. For more information, call the HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399.

View the Emergency Rental Assistance Grant Flyer in:

Special Grant Document Guide

You can ask for a Special Grant to get benefits for emergencies or add members of your household to your case. You can find forms that are used to ask for a Special Grant in our Special Grant Document Guide.

Emergency Broadband Benefit

If you receive SNAP or Cash Assistance, you may qualify for a $50 per month discount on your mobile or fixed broadband internet service, along with a one-time $100 discount for purchasing a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer. To learn more and apply, visit

Read the Emergency Broadband Benefit flyer.


The Wellness, Comprehensive Assessment Rehabilitation and Employment (WeCARE) program is a unique initiative that addresses the needs of cash assistance clients with medical and/or mental health barriers to employment. The WeCARE program is available by referral only.


Daily Timekeeping System (DTS): For agencies that employee HRA clients
Food Card Access Project (FCAP): Submit appointments for SNAP interview
Line Item Contracts (LIC): Monthly line item expenses
Payment and Claiming System on the Web (PACSWeb): Enables vendors to request payments for services provided to HRA clients
Substance Abuse Tracking and Reporting System (STARS): For treatment providers
Supportive Housing System (PACT): The Office of Health and Mental Health Services’ Placement, Assessment and Client Tracking Unit
Training Provider Tracking System (TPTS): For training providers
Available Training/Educational Programs: Search for training/educational providers and programs
New Training Provider Application: Become a training provider
WeCare System: Wellness, Comprehensive Assessment, Rehabilitation and Employment program


Youth Applicant Frequently Asked Questions
Housing: Know Your Rights

Child Care

Parents and guardians who are employed or engage in work-related activities (required or voluntary), including those in school, may be eligible for child care. If eligible for child care, parents and guardians have the right to appropriate, affordable, accessible, and suitable child care. HRA will never require you to use a specific provider but can help you find one that is best for you if you need one.

If you are employed or participating in a work activity and would like HRA to help pay for child care, you and the provider will need to complete and submit the forms below.

Child Care Forms

Automated Child Care Eligibility and Enrollment System (ACEE): Child care programs for HRA clients
Child Care Provider Search: Easy to use search tool to locate NYC contracted & non-contracted Child Care Providers & short list/filter based on client needs

View Child Care Provider Enrollment Supplement (CS-274W) in:

View the Proof of ID and Residency for Child Care Providers (CFWB-004) form in:

View the Additional Local Standard Release (CFWB-047) form in:

View the Important Information about Child Care (FIA-1144) form in:

View the Enrollment Form for Provider of Legally-Exempt In-Home Child Care and Legally-Exempt Family Child Care (OCFS-LDSS-4699) in:

View the Instructions for Enrollment Form for Provider of Legally-Exempt In-Home Child Care and Legally- Exempt Family Child Care (OCFS-LDSS-4699a) in:

Part A: Enrollment Form for Legally-Exempt Group Child Care Program (OCFS-LDSS-4700) in:

Instructions for Part A: Enrollment Form for Legally-Exempt Group Child Care Program (OCFS-LDSS-4700a) in:

View the Work Schedule for Child Care (FIA-1100) form in:

HRA-154: School/ Training Enrollment Letter in:

CFWB-001: Special Needs Application 

Other Forms

View the Verification of Secondary Tenant's Residence and Housing Costs form in:

View the Request for Additional Allowance form in:

Request for Review for Underpayment
Request for Payment of Rent Arrears in Excess of CA Limit

Information About Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)

Adverse Childhood Experiences are caused by traumatic events or conditions such as poverty and violence, and can lead to serious health effects throughout a child’s life. Learn more about ACEs and how to help develop resilience to reduce their impact.

  • Learn more about ACEs 
  • Download the flyer