Oral Health: Information for Providers

Fluoride Varnish

Medicaid reimbursement is now available for the application of fluoride varnish to children's teeth by pediatric primary care providers (PCPs) in New York State. This simple procedure can be integrated into regular office examinations and will help prevent early childhood caries.

Gum Disease

Many adults have some form of gum disease, and it can range from swollen gums in mild cases to loose teeth in more severe cases.

Learn more about gum disease.

Web-Based Oral Health Training

There are a number of online training and information for healthcare providers, such as the following:

  • Integration of Preventive Dental Services in School Health Programs: This training course is intended for medical providers, and focuses on how to conduct a dental screening and apply fluoride varnish in a school-based setting. Continuing medical education (CME), continuing nursing education (CNE) and continuing education in health education (CHES/MCHES) credit is offered upon completion of the course.

  • Bright Futures in Practice: Oral Health Pocket Guide: A pocket guide including information on oral health supervision from pregnancy through the child’s adolescence, and risk assessment tables.

  • Open Wide: Oral Health Training for Health Professionals: Four oral health training modules to help promote childhood oral health.

  • Smiles for Life (A National Oral Health Curriculum) Free CME and CNE credit upon completion of modules specific to oral health for all age groups. Modules for clinicians and educators are available.

Oral Health in New York City

School-Based Dental Programs

If you are a school-based dental provider, read our guidelines for starting or expanding a school-based dental program (SBHC-D) (PDF).

311 Referral

If you are a dental provider willing to take on under- or uninsured patients, learn how you can be included in the 311 online and phone referral system by emailing nycdohmhdental@health.nyc.gov.

Additional Resources




To order free posters, call 311.

More Information