NYC Healthy Neighborhoods Program: Home Assessments of Asthma Triggers

How to Submit Referrals

The Healthy Neighborhoods Program is accepting referrals from health care providers for children and adults with persistent asthma who have pests or mold in the home.

Providers can submit referrals through the Citywide Immunization Registry and by faxing the following form:

The NYC Healthy Neighborhoods Program (HNP) can help children and adults with persistent asthma by identifying asthma triggers in their home and finding ways to address them. This includes safely fixing the problems that cause them, such as leaks and cracks.

Asthma triggers can include:

  • Cockroaches
  • Rodents (mice and rats)
  • Mold

Free Home Assessments

HNP provides free home assessments to children and adults diagnosed with persistent asthma by a health care provider. If HNP staff find environmental asthma triggers or other home health hazards, the program will work with property owners to correct the problems.


You can only get a home assessment if a health care provider refers you to HNP.

You are eligible for a free home assessment if you or your child:

  • Has been diagnosed with persistent asthma.
  • Are a city resident and live in a rental home that has pests or mold (not including mold on tile or grout).
  • Allow HNP to work with the property owner to correct the problem.

If your health care provider says you are eligible for this program, ask them to refer you or your child to HNP through the Citywide Immunization Registry (CIR).

You can print out the following form and give it to your health care provider during your next visit:

If you are a community health worker or home visitor, and your client has persistent asthma and pests or mold in the home, you can also share this Asthma Referral Card (PDF) with them, and let them know to bring it to their health care provider to ask for this free service.

If you do not have a health care provider, you can find one through NYC Health + Hospitals or call 311 for more information.

If you are a residential property owner, manager or building maintenance worker and would like more information on safely controlling and removing indoor allergen hazards in tenant homes, email or call 311.

If you are a tenant without persistent asthma and have a water leak, signs of mold growth or pests in your home, notify your landlord immediately. If your landlord does not fix the problem quickly, or if repair work is not being done safely, file a complaint online or call 311.

Tenant Resources

Additional Resources

More Information