Human Resources Administration311Search all websites

Legal Services for Tenants

Legal Services for Tenants Facing Eviction – NYC's Right-to-Counsel Law

Are you facing an eviction in court? New York City has your back.

Right-to-Counsel (or Universal Access) legal services are free and available in every ZIP code, regardless of immigration status. Tenants facing eviction in Housing Court or NYCHA administrative proceedings have access to free legal representation or advice provided by legal services organizations from across the five boroughs.

A graphic demonstration of how to get free legal help: ask for it in court, talk to someone wearing the teal logo, or go to any room on site with the teal logo on it'

Right-to-Counsel (or Universal Access) legal service providers are connecting with tenants at their first Housing Court conferences. Go to your initial court appearance and say "I would like an attorney" when you appear in court. You can also stop anyone wearing the button below for help:

Teal colored circle with the text 'Speak with a free lawyer'
  • Do you have a pending eviction case in Housing Court?
  • Have you received a Motion to Restore/Enforce an Eviction?
  • Have you received a Warrant of Eviction?
  • Have you been locked out of your apartment by your landlord without a court order or warrant?
  • Do you have a termination of tenancy case brought by the New York City Housing Authority?
  • Does your apartment need serious repairs but your landlord won't make them?

If yes to any of the above, contact the tenant resources below:

Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.

For more information on how to appear for court on your scheduled date, contact the New York City Housing Court

Visit the New York City Housing Court website or call:





Red Hook








Staten Island


Do you have other questions about your housing situation and rights as a tenant, such as your lease or being behind on rent?