The New York City DOT advises the overnight full closures of the FDR Drive in both directions between 61st Street and 96th Street through July 19th, 2016 (weather permitting).
These closures are necessary to facilitate construction of The Rockefeller University – being built above the roadway.
This week, the FDR Drive will be closed from Wednesday through Sunday during overnight hours, as follows:
- Wednesday June 15th, Thursday June 16th and Friday June 17th from 12:30 a. m. to 4:30 a.m.
- Saturday, June 18th from 1 a.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Sunday, June 19th from 2 a.m. to 6:30 a.m.
During the full closure traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Southbound traffic will exit at 96th Street, and use Second Avenue to 42nd Street to reenter the FDR drive.
- During the closures the southbound entrance ramps at Third Avenue Bridge, RFK Bridge, 125th Street, 116th Street, 92nd Street, 79th Street and 73rd Street will be closed.
- Northbound traffic will exit at 61st Street, be directed to First Avenue, and follow detour signs to 96th Street to re-enter the FDR drive.
- During the closures the northbound entrance ramps at 34th, 42nd, and 62nd Streets will be closed.
- The southbound FDR Drive 34th Street exit will be closed.
- Before the closures go in one to two lanes will be closed between 11 p.m. and midnight.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:30 a.m. on weekdays, 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, and 11:00 a.m. on Sunday.
A single lane closure will be implemented on the FDR Drive (both directions) at around 11 pm, then a double lane closure will be implemented around 11:30 pm.
During this project, motorists should anticipate delays in the vicinity of the work zones, and should plan accordingly.
All work is weather dependent. Work is anticipated to continue into July, and DOT will issue weekly updates to highlight the scheduled closures -- as hours and days are expected to vary.