FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Release #10-39
Seth Solomonow/Nicole Garcia (212) 839-4850
Street Closures for Annual Five Boro Bike Tour Sunday, May 1
The New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) today advised that rolling street, bridge and highway closures will occur on Sunday, May 1 throughout the city to facilitate the annual TD Bank Five Boro Bike Tour. Rolling street closures will begin at 6:30 a.m. ahead of the event's 8:00 a.m. start time in Lower Manhattan and continue along the 42-mile route through Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn before concluding in Staten Island at 6 p.m.
Closures will affect portions of Church Street, Sixth Avenue, Central Park, Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard, the Madison Avenue Bridge, the Third Avenue Bridge, the FDR Drive, the Queensboro Bridge, the Pulaski Bridge, the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, the Gowanus Expressway, the Belt Parkway, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and Bay Street, and other locations. The Staten Island Ferry will operate with additional boats to accommodate the Tour.
A listing of the approximate times for the various closures is below.
See more details, including an interactive map.
Five Boro Bike Tour Bridge/Highway/Street/Park Closures
Bridge and Highway Closures
On Sunday, May 1, the following bridges and highways will be closed to motorists during the times noted:Manhattan to Bronx
- Madison Avenue Bridge (Bronx bound): 7:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- 3rd Avenue Bridge (Manhattan bound): 7:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- FDR Drive Southbound (3rd Avenue Bridge to 63rd Street): 7:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Queensboro Bridge (Manhattan-bound - upper-level): 9 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.
- Pulaski Bridge (Southbound to Brooklyn): 9:15 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Belt Parkway Southbound is considered part of the Shore Expressway: 10:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- BQE Southbound (Furman Street to Gowanus Expressway): 10:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Gowanus Expressway Southbound (BQE to Shore Expressway) 10:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Shore Expressway Southbound (Gowanus Split to 4th Avenue): 10:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (Westbound lower level to Staten Island): 11:11 a.m. - 4:20 p.m.
Street ClosuresManhattan Street Closures
On Sunday, May 1, the following streets in Manhattan will be closed intermittently to motorists from 6:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. for the annual Five Boro Bike Tour:
- Greenwich Street from Battery Park to Trinity Place
- Trinity Place from Greenwich to Church streets
- Church Street from Trinity Place to Franklin Street
- 6th Avenue from Franklin to 59th streets
- 7th Avenue (Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard) from 110th (Central Park) to 135th streets
- 135th Street from 7th Avenue (Adam. Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard) to the Madison Avenue Bridge
- 116th Street from FDR Drive (Southbound) to Pleasant Avenue; Pleasant Avenue from 116th to 114th streets
- York Avenue at 63rd Street (entrance ramp to the Queensboro Bridge)
- 63rd Street from FDR Drive to Second Avenue
On Sunday, May 1, the following street in the Bronx will be closed to motorists from 7:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. for the annual Five Boro Bike Tour:
- 138th Street between the Madison Avenue Bridge and the Third Avenue Bridge
On Sunday, May 1, the following streets in Queens will be closed intermittently to motorists from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for the annual Five Boro Bike Tour:
- 21st Street from Queens Plaza North to Hoyt Avenue
- Hoyt Avenue from 21st to 19th streets (Astoria Park)
- Shore Boulevard from Astoria Park South to Ditmars Boulevard
- Astoria Park South from Shore Boulevard to 14th Street
- 14th Street from Astoria Park South to 31st Avenue
- 31st Avenue from 14th Street to Vernon Boulevard
- Queens Plaza South from 34th Street to Vernon Boulevard
- Vernon Boulevard from 31st Avenue to 44th Drive
- 44th Drive from Vernon Boulevard to 11th Street
- 11th Street from 44th Drive to the Pulaski Bridge
On Sunday, May 1, the following streets in Brooklyn will be closed intermittently to motorists from 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for the annual Five Boro Bike Tour:
- McGuinness Boulevard from Pulaski Bridge to Greenpoint Avenue
- Java Street from Greenpoint Avenue to Franklin Street
- Greenpoint Avenue from McGuinness Boulevard to Franklin Street
- Franklin Street from Greenpoint Avenue to Kent Avenue
- Kent Avenue from Franklin Street to Williamsburg Street
- Williamsburg Street from Kent Avenue to Flushing Avenue
- Flushing Avenue from Kent Avenue to Navy Street
- North Elliot Place from Flushing Avenue to Park Avenue
- Navy Street from Flushing Avenue to York Street
- York Street from Navy Street to Gold Street
- Gold Street from York Street to Front Street
- Front Street from Gold Street to Old Fulton Street (Cadman Plaza)
- Old Fulton Street (Cadman Plaza) from Front Street to Furman Street
- Furman Street from Old Fulton Street to Atlantic Avenue
- Atlantic Avenue from Furman Street to Columbia Street
- Columbia Street from Atlantic Avenue to the BQE Entrance Ramp
- 4th Avenue from Shore Parkway (Belt Parkway) exit ramp to 101st Street (John Paul Jones Park)
- 101st Street from 4th Avenue to Fort Hamilton Parkway
- Fort Hamilton Parkway from 101st Street to 92nd Street
- 92nd Street from Fort Hamilton Parkway to Gatling Place, enter Verrazano Bridge
On Sunday, May 1, the following streets in Staten Island will be closed intermittently to motorists from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the annual Five Boro Bike Tour:
- Bay Street from Fort Wadsworth to Hylan Boulevard
- Hylan Boulevard from Bay Street to Edgewater Street
- Edgewater Street from Bay Street to Front Street
- Bay Street from Edgewater Street to Front Street
- Front Street from Bay Street to Murray Hulbert Avenue
- Murray Hulbert Avenue from Front Street to Hannah Street
- Hannah Street from Murray Hulbert Avenue to Bay Street
- Bay Street from Hannah Street to St. George/Staten Island Ferry Terminal
On Sunday, May 1, the following parks will be impacted by the annual Five Boro Bike Tour. Some roadways and paths will be closed during the times noted:
- Battery Park, Manhattan: 5:30 a.m. - 10 a.m.
- Central Park, East Park Drive from 59th Street to 110th Street, Manhattan: 7 a.m. - 11:40 a.m.
- Astoria Park, Queens: 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Commodore J. Barry Park, Brooklyn: 10:30 a.m. - 1:50 p.m.
- John Paul Jones Park (Cannonball Park), Brooklyn: 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.