Demolition of Cypress Hills Cemetery Road East and West Bridges Requires Full Closure of the Jackie Robinson Parkway
Release # 06-16
Friday, March 10, 2006
Over the weekend of March 17–20, the New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT) will demolish the Cypress Hills Cemetery Road East and West Bridges over the Jackie Robinson Parkway (JRP). In order to perform this work, the Jackie Robinson Parkway will be closed eastbound from Exit 1 (Jamaica Avenue-Pennsylvania Avenue) to Exit 4 (Forest Park Drive) and westbound from Exit 4 (Forest Park Drive) to Exit 2 (Cypress Avenue-Vermont Place). Motorists are advised to use alternate routes. Traffic Enforcement Agents will be stationed at critical intersections to maintain a safe flow of traffic and Variable Message Signs will be placed along major highways and local streets to alert motorists of the closure and alternate routes. The following detours, ramp closures, directional changes and parking restrictions will be in effect from 10:00 pm Friday, March 17 through 5:00 am Monday, March 20.
- From Eastbound Grand Central Parkway: Take the westbound Long Island Expressway (LIE) OR 69th Road to Woodhaven Boulevard, to Cooper Avenue, and continue on Central Avenue. Proceed west on to Myrtle Avenue then south on Cypress Avenue and access JRP via Vermont Place.
- From Southbound Van Wyck Expressway: Take the westbound LIE to Woodhaven Boulevard and follow as noted above OR continue south and take westbound Atlantic Avenue.
- From Eastbound New York Avenue: Take Fulton Street to Rockaway Boulevard to Atlantic Avenue OR Jamaica Avenue to Forest Parkway to JRP OR Atlantic Avenue Queens-bound.
- From Northbound Pennsylvania Avenue: Take Belt Parkway OR Linden Boulevard OR Liberty Avenue OR Atlantic Avenue Queens-bound.
- From Southbound Bushwick Avenue: Take Highland Boulevard to Jamaica Avenue to Forest Parkway to JRP.
All Exit/Entrance ramps to the JRP will be closed EXCEPT the following:
- Entrance ramp to JRP westbound from Vermont Place (Exit 2)
- Entrance ramps to JRP eastbound at: Forest Park Drive (Exit 4); Myrtle Avenue-Woodhaven Boulevard-Rockaways (Exit 5) and Metropolitan Avenue (Exit 6).
- Exit ramps from JRP westbound at: Forest Park Drive (Exit 4) and Metropolitan Avenue (Exit 6).
- Entrance ramp from westbound GCP to westbound JRP
In order to allow for additional travel lanes on local streets, there will be parking restrictions and directional changes along the following routes during the weekend closure.
- North side of Cooper Avenue between Woodhaven Boulevard and Cypress Hills Street; No Stopping Anytime
- East side of 73rd Place between Cooper Avenue and Central Avenue: No Stopping Anytime
- Both sides of 80th Street between Myrtle Avenue and Cooper Avenue: No Stopping Anytime
- Both sides of 78th Avenue for the first 100 feet west of 80th Street: No Stopping Anytime
- North side of Central Avenue between Cooper Ave and Myrtle Avenue: No Stopping Anytime
- Central Avenue between Cypress Hills Street and Myrtle Avenue: One-way southwest traffic only with parking restrictions.
- North side of Myrtle Avenue between Cypress Hills Street and Union Turnpike: No Stopping Anytime (Meters will be bagged)
- West side of Cypress Hills Street between Myrtle Avenue and Cooper Avenue: No Stopping Anytime
- North side of Cypress Avenue between Cypress Hills Street and Vermont Place: No Stopping Anytime
- Highland Boulevard will be made one-way southbound between Vermont Place and Jamaica Avenue.
- Force Tube Avenue will be closed between Etna Avenue and Jamaica Avenue.
- Right turns restricted for eastbound Cooper Avenue to southbound Cypress Avenue.
- The southbound bike lane along Cypress Hills Street between Cooper Avenue and Cypress Avenue will be removed for the duration of this detour.
- South side of Jamaica Avenue between Highland Boulevard and 94th Street: No Stopping Anytime (Meters will be bagged)
- Pennsylvania Avenue between Atlantic Avenue and Fulton Street will be limited to one northbound lane, with no parking permitted on its northbound curbside.
- East side of street along northbound Forest Parkway between Jamaica Ave. and Park Lane South: No Stopping Anytime
Parked Vehicles Will Be Towed
Vehicles that are parked along the above mentioned streets during these hours will be towed to the Forest Park Band Shell Parking Lot, located west of Woodhaven Boulevard off of Forest Park Drive. Also, owners may be summonsed.
What To Do If Your Vehicle Has Been Towed
If your vehicle has been towed, please call the 104 th Precinct at (718) 386-3004.
Contact: Kay Sarlin (212) 442-7033