Motorists & Parking
New York City Parking Cards Online
NYC Parking Cards are pre-paid cards that can be used to park for parking at all New York City meters and all municipal parking garages and lots. NYC Parking Cards are available in $20, $50 and $100 denominations.
- No more pockets full of coins.
- No trying to change your bills.
- No summonses while looking for change or because the coins you had were not enough.
If you previously purchased cards through the mail, update your account for ordering online. Please have your account number handy. You only need to do this once.
If you're already registered, shop for cards.
Cards are available at the St. George Ferry Terminal (passenger boarding area) from four machines, accessible 24 hours and machines in the lobby of 66 John Street during business hours.
Using a Parking Card
Parking Cards do not expire and they are valid until the card balance is exhausted. Every time you use the Parking Card, your new balance will be displayed. You can use the card until the original value purchased is exhausted.
Cards can not be refilled at this time. Dispose of used cards properly in trash receptacles.
- Insert the card partway, the machine will pull it in the rest of the way.
- The display will show the balance on the card.
- Press the blue button to buy time.
- The display will show how much money is used, and the clock will display the expiration time.
- Select the amount of time you need, and press the green button to make the purchase. Take the receipt.
Until you press the green button, the transaction can be cancelled at any time by turning the red knob.
Paying with both Parking Cards and Coins
If your NYC Parking Card has a value lower than what is needed to park, the card value can be combined with coins. Have the card and all needed coins ready at the beginning of the transaction. If more than 40 seconds passes between the card payment and the coin insertion, the payment will not be combined.
- Insert NYC Parking Card into the meter
- Press the blue button to deduct payment increments from card, until there is a zero balance
- Leave the card in the meter
- Insert coins as needed to purchase the full amount of parking time desired
- Press the green button for receipt & Parking Card will be returned for your disposal
- For the newer gray meters you can complete your transaction with coins or another parking card. The machine will prompt a “continue” message. Follow the directions.
- At Pay-and-Display meters, place the receipt on your dashboard
Lost, Stolen or Damaged Cards
Cards can be damaged if mistreated. Avoid exposure to high temperatures (leaving the card on the dashboard under a hot sun) and keep cards dry. Do not bend the card, peel away the protective coating or scratch the card chip with sharp objects. Cards are valuable; treat your card as you would treat your cash.
The City of New York is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged cards. Each Parking Card is thoroughly tested to ensure that it is operational and the dollar amount accurate before it is issued.
Infrequently, grease or other materials can interfere with the communication between the card and the machine. If this should occur, wipe the gold colored chip embedded in the card with a soft cloth, and try again. If that doesn't work, try a different machine.