DOT’s public awareness campaigns are vital components of agency initiatives. These campaigns educate New Yorkers on the most important transportation issues, influence attitudes, and shift behaviors.
Vision Zero “Signs”
“Signs” is New York City’s current Vision Zero public awareness campaign. Comprehensive market research informed the creation of the new campaign, which builds upon Vision Zero’s existing communications. “Signs” acknowledges the complexities of driving in a busy urban environment, while recognizing that simple behaviors can ultimately save lives. The effort includes television and radio advertisements as well as a variety of still photographs for outdoor and digital placements. Learn more about New York City’s Vision Zero initiative at nyc.gov/visionzero.
“Work Zone Heroes”
Each spring, the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration observe National Work Zone Awareness Week to bring national attention to motorist and worker safety in work zones. DOT will hold a press conference and place a variety of advertisements to raise driver awareness and decrease crashes in work zones. National Work Zone Awareness Week 2018 is April 9-13.
Work Zone Facts at a Glance
- On average, 700 work zone fatalities occur nationwide every year.
- More than 35,000 people are injured each year as a result of motor vehicle crashes in work zones.
- Nearly four in five victims in work zone crashes are drivers and passengers.
- 25 NYC DOT workers have been injured in work zone incidents since 2009.
- Drive within the posted speed limits and avoid all distracting activities.
- Pay close attention to merge signs, and do not change lanes within the work zone.
- Watch out not only for workers in the zone, but also for their equipment.
- Be patient and remember that the work zone crew members are working to improve our roads for our safety and convenience.
DWI Awareness “Choices”
DOT’s anti-DWI campaign “Choices” presents the viewer with two options: a safe trip home or a consequence of drinking and driving. “Choices” compels personal accountability and empowers the driver to make his/her own choice.
Vision Zero “Your Choices Matter” 2014-2017
Through attention-grabbing graphic design, "Your Choices Matter" depicts the aftermath of collisions, brings to light the seriousness of traffic crashes, and identifies the key behaviors that contribute to pedestrian fatalities.
“Reckless Driving Kills” 2014
Crashes resulting from speed, failure to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk, and distracted driving have devastating effects on families. “Reckless Driving Kills” captures the images of grieving family members at the fatal crash sites of their loved ones, asking New Yorkers to slow down and drive with caution.