Human Resources Administration311Search all websites

Disability Access

ADA Icons

Do you need help with your application, recertification or other program requirements?

If you have a disability, HRA can help by providing supports or accommodations to make it easier for you to get the services you need. This type of help is called a reasonable accommodation.

What are examples of reasonable accommodations?

Examples of reasonable accommodations offered by HRA for people with disabilities are:

  • Making your appointments at times that avoid rush hour travel
  • Shortening your wait times at HRA Offices
  • Providing a sign language interpreter
  • Helping you with reading and completing forms
  • Home visits, if needed

A few examples of conditions that may cause you to need a reasonable accommodation:

  • Vision, speech, or hearing impairments
  • Medical conditions like arthritis, cancer, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, cirrhosis, or HIV/AIDS
  • Developmental or learning disabilities
  • Mental health conditions like bipolar disorder, clinical depression, anxiety disorder, or schizophrenia

Services for Clients Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing

Learn more about our options for HRA and DHS clients who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I ask for a reasonable accommodation?

  • You can ask for a reasonable accommodation at any HRA location or program.
  • You can ask for an accommodation by calling the DSS OneNumber at 718-557-1399.
  • You can complete and submit HRA’s Reasonable Accommodation Request (RAR) form or make your own written request. You can get a copy of this form below or at your local HRA Office or by calling the DSS OneNumber at the number above.

Where can I submit a Reasonable Accommodation Request (RAR) form or a written request for an accommodation?

Give us your completed RAR form or written request at your local HRA office.
OR you can email, mail, or fax your written request or completed RAR to:

Human Resources Administration
Office of Constituent Services
150 Greenwich St.
35th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Fax: 917-639-9241

You do not need to give us proof of your condition at the time of the request. We may ask you to give us some medical or clinical documents later.

What if I need help completing the form?

If your condition makes it hard for you to complete the RAR form or submit your request, contact the DSS OneNumber for help at 718-557-1399.

How will I find out if my request is approved?

HRA will review the request and decide if a reasonable accommodation is appropriate.
We will contact you to let you know of our decision. You can call 718-557-1399 to find out the status of your request.

What if I use a text telephone (TTY) or voice carry-over (VCO) phone?

You can call us using the telephone relay service by dialing 7-1-1 or 800-662-1220.
Then connect to the DSS OneNumber at 718-557-1399.

What if I feel I’ve been treated unfairly because of my disability?

If you think you or someone in your family has been discriminated against at HRA because of a disability you may send a complaint by letter, fax, or email to:

Office of Disability Affairs
Jennifer Shaoul
Executive Director of Disability Affairs / Disability Service Facilitator
Human Resources Administration
150 Greenwich Street – 42nd Floor
New York, NY 10007
Fax: 212-437-2161

Or you can call 718-557-1399.

What should I include if I make a complaint?

  • Your name, mailing address, and telephone number
  • Your HRA case number, if you have it
  • A description of what happened and where and when it happened
  • The names and job titles of HRA workers involved, if you have them
  • The HRA office, program, or service involved

Anti-Discrimination Policy

HRA is committed to ensuring meaningful access to programs and services for people with disabilities consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and other laws.

HRA’s 5-Year Accessibility Plan

DSS/HRA Website Accessibility Statement

Read the NYC Department of Social Services Website Accessibility Statement in:


Request a Reasonable Accommodation/ Petición de arreglo razonable

Request for Medical/Clinical information/ Petición de información médica/clínica

HIPAA Authorization/ Autorización HIPAA

Request an Appeal of a Reasonable Accommodation Determination/ Petición de Apelación de la Determinación de Arreglo Razonable