NYCHA Policies & Procedures

Notice of Proposed Electric Micromobility Policy

Release Date: November 1, 2023

The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) announces proposed changes to NYCHA rules and regulations (this includes changes to the “House Rules” and residents’ conditions of occupancy) for everyone living in public housing to prevent fires and protect residents’ health and safety. The proposed changes also further the goals of Charge Safe, Ride Safe: New York City’s Electric Micromobility Action Plan, which uses a multifaceted approach to reducing fires while promoting safe use of electric micromobility (e-micromobility). The proposed rules are narrowly tailored to improve safety while minimizing impacts on public housing residents who use e-micromobility devices. 

Click to read the proposed rules and regulations as well as a full explanation of the proposed changes 

Members of the public can comment on the proposed changes through December 31, 2023. NYCHA will then review and consider all feedback before finalizing the e-mobility policies. 

To provide comments on the changes, please email your comments to by December 31, 2023, or submit written comments postmarked no later than December 31, 2023 to NYCHA – Public Comments, P.O. Box 3422 New York, NY 10008. 

Fair Housing Policy

NYCHA does not discriminate or retaliate in the selection of families for housing. Download the NYCHA's Fair Housing policies and brochures.

Apartments for New Yorkers with Disabilities

NYCHA has more than 7,400 apartments retrofitted with widened doorways, grab bars, audio/visual smoke alarms and other features for persons with disabilities.

A Home to Be Proud Of

The official NYCHA resident handbook, A Home to Be Proud Of, is a handy manual for residents with information on dos and don’ts, procedure, helpful phone numbers, and other resident-related information.

Bed Bugs Safety

Bedbugs are small insects that are common in New York City. Adult bedbugs have flat, brown oval bodies and are about the size of an apple seed. Bedbugs do not cause or spread diseases, but their bites can lead to infections. There are steps that can be taken to prevent bed bugs from infesting your home. Bed bug infestations can be safely controlled.

Communications In Alternative Formats For Public Housing And Section 8 Residents And Applicants Who Are Blind Or Have A Visual Impairment

NYCHA provides equal housing opportunities for all qualified residents and applicants. Upon request, NYCHA will provide reasonable aids and services for effective communication to qualified applicants and residents with disabilities in NYCHA programs, services, or activities.

  • For Public Housing residents and applicants - Detail here
  • For Section 8 residents and applicants - Detail here

Community Service Requirement

Domestic Violence

Learn about the protections in place for victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault or stalking for Public Housing Residents & Applicants and Section 8 Tenants.

Family Re-entry Pilot Program

Housing Discrimination Complaints

Residents, applicants, and Section 8 voucher holders can report or file a complaint of housing discrimination by calling NYCHA’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at 212-306-4468 or by emailing Learn about the complaints process here.

Highlights of House Rules, Lease Terms and Policy

Lead-Safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right:

The Renovate Right pamphlet provides important general information about legal requirements for safe lead practices for homeowners, tenants, child care providers and parents during renovation activities. Review and download the pamphlet here:

Lead and Safe Drinking Water

New York City’s water is safe, including the water at your development.

Mold and Mildew Prevention & Treatment

Notice of Class Action Lawsuit on Mold and Moisture

Occupancy and Succession

Read about NYCHA's Occupancy and Succession procedures.

Over-Income Policy for Public Housing

As required by HUD, a household whose income exceeds the over-income limit, which is 120% of the Area Median Income (AMI), must be considered “over-income” by NYCHA for the Section 9 program. As discussed further below, if a household remains over-income for 24 consecutive months, NYCHA is required by HUD to have the household sign a new non-public housing over-income lease and the household will have to pay the alternative non-public housing rent, which in New York City is the Fair Market Rent set annually by HUD. After the non-public housing over-income lease is signed, the non-public housing over-income (NPHOI) tenancy begins.

Read the Over-Income Policy FAQs.

Permanent Exclusion and Applying to Lift Exclusions

For more information on resident safety, removal of dangerous people from NYCHA, Permanent Exclusion and Lifting of Permanent Exclusion click here.

Proposed Revised Remote Hearing Procedures

Public Comment Period for Proposed Revised Remote Hearing Procedures

NYCHA is proposing a modification to its remote hearing procedures to provide additional clarity on the procedures the Office of Impartial Hearings (OIH) follows when conducting hearings where any participants appear virtually.

Members of the public can comment on the proposed changes through September 1, 2023. NYCHA will then review and consider all feedback before determining what, if any, changes to the Remote Hearing Procedures are appropriate.

Proposed Revised Remote Hearing Procedures Notice: English | Español | 繁體 | 简体 |Русский

To provide comments on the proposed lease addendum, please email your comments to by September 1, 2023, or submit written comments postmarked no later than September 1 to NYCHA - Lease Clause Changes, P.O. Box 19202, Long Island City, NY 11101-9202.

Proposed Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy (ACOP)

The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) will be publishing a new Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy (ACOP), which will incorporate NYCHA’s existing admissions and occupancy policies. This document will be posted on NYCHA’s website once it is finalized.    
NYCHA made a draft of the ACOP available for public review and comment for a period of 45 days (September 13, 2023, through October 28, 2023). The draft ACOP is available online at
The public comment period closed on October 28, 2023, and NYCHA is now reviewing all comments received, and will consider all feedback before determining what, if any, changes to the ACOP are appropriate before implementing.

Reasonable Accommodations

NYCHA provides reasonable accommodation for applicants, Section 8 voucher holders, and NYCHA residents with disabilities. Learn more about NYCHA’s reasonable accommodation policies and forms.

Housing Applicants and Section 8 participants who require Reasonable Accommodations may contact:

Rent Grievance and Interim Recertification Policies

NYCHA revised its policies and procedures related to interim rent changes, rent grievances, nonpayment proceedings, and chronic rent delinquency proceedings. These changes include improvements to NYCHA’s Self-Service Portal.

Policy Changes: English | Español | 繁體 | 简体 | Русский

Interim Recertification

If a tenant is in between Annual Recertification periods, and experiences a change to their household composition, income, disability status, senior status, citizenship status or student status, they can inform NYCHA by requesting an Interim Recertification.

Grievance and Termination of Tenancy Procedures

A grievance can be submitted when you are dissatisfied with a decision made by NYCHA, that you believe adversely affects your rights, duties or status.

Interim recertifications and rent grievances can be submitted online through the Self-Service Portal ( You can also request a paper version of the interim recertification or rent grievance forms at your property management office.

Grievance Procedures: English | Español | 繁體 / 简体 | Русский 

Termination of Tenancy Procedures: English | Español | 繁體 / 简体 | Русский 

Remote Hearings Procedure: English | Español | 繁體 / 简体 | Русский

Remote Hearing Participant Guide: English | Español | 繁體 / 简体 | Русский

Section 3

Read the Section 3 FAQ.

Trespass Policy

Read about NYCHA's Trespass Policy:

Trust Resident Voting Procedures

The NYC Public Housing Preservation Trust Resident Voting Procedures provide the process through which residents of NYCHA developments will vote to decide whether or not they want their development to be included in the Trust and its work to renovate their development’s buildings and apartments.

Print-friendly versions of the Final Voting Procedures are available here: English | Español | Русский | 中文 (繁體 / 简体)

Other Helpful Information


ACCESS NYC is a free service that helps you find out if you may qualify for over 30 City, State and Federal benefit programs.

Social Security Administration

Create a free and secure account to track current or future social security benefits, manage direct deposit options for SSA benefits, print an SSA benefit verification letter for NYCHA income recertification, and much more.