Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE)

Tenant Access Portal (TAP)

As part of the Rent Freeze Program, the SCRIE benefit assists eligible senior citizen tenants by freezing their rent at the current level and exempting them from future rent increases.

Information for tenants

Senior citizens who meet eligibility criteria can apply for the SCRIE benefit to have their rent frozen at the current level, thus protecting them from legal rent increases. Visit the Rent Freeze Program page for eligibility and application details.

To continue receiving SCRIE benefits, tenants must submit a renewal application, which will be sent to them approximately 60 days before their current benefit expires.

When a tenant is approved for SCRIE, landlords receive a tax abatement credit (TAC) equivalent to the tenant's exempted rent increase. You will receive a notification letter showing the exemption period, the amount the tenant must pay, and the amount of your tax abatement credit. These credits are also detailed in your property tax account.

Landlords with excess SCRIE credits can request a refund instead of having the credits roll over to the next tax period. Submit a refund application or online request to initiate the process. Visit the Rent Freeze Program page for more information.

Weekly tenant reports: Updated weekly, these reports provide updates on SCRIE applications and activities, sorted by borough, block, and lot (BBL), then by docket number.

SCRIE tenant reports by borough:

Monthly TAC reports: Detailing TAC credits and debits for each building, these reports are updated monthly and are sorted by BBL.

TAC Report Archive

Landlords suspecting a tenant of improperly receiving SCRIE benefits can submit an Appeal Application or a letter outlining their concerns. For tenants who have passed away or moved, landlords should use the SCRIE Change in Eligibility form to report this.

If your property is fully tax exempt or if you have a zero balance on your tax bill, you will receive TAC credits on your property tax bill. You may request a refund by submitting a Property Refund Request.

Information for landlords

Landlord Express Access Portal (LEAP)

Need Help?

Contact 311, email us, or schedule a virtual appointment.

If due to a disability you need an accommodation on order to apply for and receive a service, or to participate in a program offered by the Department of Finance, please contact the Disability Service Facilitator or by calling 311.