Permit Types

Street Festivals

Street festivals are community sponsored events requiring a street closure of one or more blocks for one day or more. These events offer the general public opportunities to purchase goods or services from licensed vendors. If you are interested in holding a street festival, please read below for more information or apply here.

When hosting a street festival, keep in mind the following:

  • Applications can be submitted as earliest as the first business day in November, but no later than December 31st of the year preceding the event
    • You may only apply, if your event took place in 2016
  • Applicants must be a nonprofit organization associated with the community, whose nonprofit status is in good standing
    • You must provide documentation of your nonprofit status when submitting your application
  • Events can be held for more than one day and on more than one block, but cannot exceed 12 consecutive hours per day and additional fees may apply
  • Rain dates are not permitted
  • Your organization must be insured for a minimum of $1 million. Additional insurance is required
    • Additional Insured:  The City of New York, including its officials and employees, must be covered as additional insured.
    • Certificate Holder: The certificate holder should be listed as “City of New York c/o Street Activity Permit Office, 253 Broadway, New York, NY 10007.”
  • You may require additional permits. All other agency permits must be obtained before we can grant your SAPO permit. Examples include:

Apply for a Street Festival Permit

Permit Types