Support Permitting Agency

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) protects and promotes the health of all New Yorkers by inspecting and issuing permits for food establishments, temporary food vendors, and animals at events.

DOHMH permits include:

  • Temporary Food Service Establishment Permit (TFSE): An annual TFSE permit is required to sell or serve food and beverage at a fixed location for a temporary period of time. This requirement applies to selling food from vending booths, stands, kiosks, vehicles or carts at events.
  • Food Service Establishment Permit (FSE): If you are a restaurant with a FSE permit and would like to participate at an event, your FSE permit covers you for your first location (e.g. right in front of your restaurant). If you wanted to set up a second location, you would need to apply for an additional TFSE permit. Mobile food vending units with a valid FSE permit are not required to obtain a separate TFSE permit to participate in an event. A copy of the FSE's permit must be kept onsite at the temporary event and available upon inspection.
  • Animal Facilities Permits: If you are having a petting zoo, pony rides, or other animal exhibits at your event, you will need to contact DOHMH for approval.

Other non-permit interaction with DOHMH may include:

  • If you are interested in having an event with a pool, you will need to present your water plan to DOHMH to ensure that your water/filtration system is approved and up to DOHMH sanitary codes.