Permanent Affordability Commitment Together: PACT

Resources for Residents

Learn more about resident rights, responsibilities and employment opportunities below. Residents can also attend any of the PACT information sessions to learn more about PACT, or call the resident hotline or email us with specific questions.

Resident Rights & Preparing for Conversion

What are my rights? How can I make sure I'm ready for PACT?

PACT will keep your home permanently affordable and preserve your rights and protections. But before the conversion, there are steps you should take to ensure a smooth transition.

Your rights after conversion 

Your responsibilities 

Residents who transition to the Section 8 program will continue to pay 30% of their adjusted gross household income towards rent

  • If your income changes before signing your new lease, submit a rent adjustment to NYCHA property management 

  • After conversion, you will pay your rent to a new property manager 

You will have the right to organize, and your resident association will continue to receive funding 

  • Get involved with your resident association, or form one if one does not exist! 

  • Attend a resident meeting to learn more about resident associations and how to organize 

You will have the right to renew your lease 

  • Confirm all members of your household are listed on your lease for conversion 

  • If you need to add family members, contact NYCHA property management or attend a Lease Addition Day 

  • If you require a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or health concerns during construction, you will need to contact NYCHA property management  

Your application will not be re-screened before signing a new lease 

You will have the right to remain in your apartment during construction  

You will be able to add relatives onto your lease 

Relatives on your lease will have succession rights 

You have the right to grievance hearings 

  • Attend a resident meeting to learn more about how grievance hearings are conducted under the Section 8 program 

  • Call the PACT support line to ask specific questions about your circumstances: 212-306-4036 

You will continue to receive the Earned Income Disregard, if already receiving it 

  • Confirm your Earned Income Disregard status before signing your new lease 

You will also have the ability to apply for job opportunities associated with the conversion  

  • Attend a NYCHA REES Job Opportunity info session to learn more! 

Attend a NYCHA REES Job Opportunity info session to learn more! 

Frequently Asked Questions:

How will rent be determined? Will my rent increase?

For residents who convert to the Section 8 program, rent will continue to be set at 30% of adjusted gross household income, and residents will not need to pay a new security deposit. Residents will not be re-screened prior to signing a new lease. Any changes to your household configuration (for example, if you add family members onto your lease) can change your portion of the rent, but it will always be set to 30% of the household income.

What if I need to add people or pets onto my lease?

Before you sign your new lease, you will be able to add any members of your family not currently on your lease. After conversion, there will also be an annual recertification process led by NYCHA’s Leased Housing department, and you can add a new family member at that time. Make sure your family composition is up to date before conversion. Also be sure to register pets with NYCHA prior to conversion.

Will I need to move or relocate during construction?

No one will be asked to move as all renovations are completed while you remain in your home. In some cases, depending on the severity of repairs needed or due to health concerns, residents will be assisted in a temporary relocation, but you will have a right to return to your home as soon as construction is completed.

Will I be required to move to a larger or smaller apartment?

Once you transfer to the Section 8 program, NYCHA’s Leased Housing Department will determine which households are overcrowded, or over-housed, based on the number of people listed on your lease. If your household does not meet Section 8 standards, meaning that there are too many people, or too many bedrooms for your household size, you will need to move to an appropriate-sized unit when one becomes available.

Can I move with my new voucher? Are Section 8 vouchers portable?

One year after converting to the Section 8 program, an income-qualified family can request a Housing Choice Voucher pending funding availability. The voucher program allows tenants to move anywhere in the United States where Section 8 vouchers are accepted.

What about our tenant leadership? Can our tenant association still organize?

As long as your tenant association is in good standing, your tenant association will continue to have rights and can organize after conversion. Tenant associations will continue to receive the same funding levels after conversion.

Employment Opportunities

PACT requires employment and other economic opportunities generated by the conversion to be directed to public housing residents through a federal program called Section 3. Development partners will provide residents with long-term employment prospects and build skills through job training. They will also create opportunities for resident-owned businesses.

Through the Section 3 program, residents will have access to the following types of job opportunities:

  • Construction positions: Laborers, carpenters, assistant superintendents, movers, and more
  • Management positions: Supers, porters, handymen, and office positions
  • Contract opportunities for resident-owned businesses

Don’t wait to get your certificates or complete training!

NYCHA’s Office of Resident Economic & Employment Sustainability (REES) is a resource available to you as a NYCHA resident. While additional job opportunities with development partners will be available after the conversion, you can connect to resources and prepare yourself for hiring NOW!

To prepare for Section 3 job opportunities, make sure you have the appropriate certifications to perform work on the job site. Priority for Section 3 positions will be given to NYCHA residents who reside in the NYCHA development where the conversion is taking place, but residents should register their interest in the Section 3 program with the NYCHA REES office.

NYCHA’s REES office has several resources available to residents beyond the Section 3 program. REES supports residents to increase their income and assets through programs, policies, and partnerships. You can utilize the REES office to:

  • Connect to economic opportunities close to home, like hiring events or upcoming training opportunities
  • Learn about Section 3 and other job opportunities
  • Enroll in adult education programs
  • Take advantage of various NYCHA rent incentives programs
  • Improve credit or address debt through financial empowerment services
  • Learn how to start or grow a business

NYCHA residents interested in REES services, including employment opportunities, can connect with REES through the following methods:

  • Information sessions and recruitment events at your development
  • Opportunity Connect via Self Service Portal here.
  • Visit the REES website here.
  • Call the REES office: 718-289-8100

Additional Resources and Materials

Use the buttons on the top of this page to navigate to other pages about PACT!

Linked below are materials that you can print or download:

PACT Residential Lease

As part of the PACT conversion process, NYCHA residents will sign a PACT Resident Lease in order to convert to the Project-Based Section 8 program through PACT. A sample of the PACT Resident Lease is linked below. This is a sample lease. Please do not sign it. In addition to the lease itself, there are riders and notices you will also need to sign. Samples of those riders and notices are linked below. These are samples. Please do not sign them.

This PACT lease was developed by NYCHA and has been informed by the residents, advocates and stakeholders. It has also been reviewed by Legal Aid Society, an independent legal services organization. This lease cannot be changed without NYCHA’s approval. The PACT Resident Lease is available in the following languages, please click the hyperlink to read the lease in that language.
English | Español | 中文 (繁體/ | 简体) | Русский

PACT Riders and Notices

PACT-specific riders

HUD Project-Based Voucher Tenancy Addendum: 
HUD requires this rider be part of the PACT lease. It has two parts:
Part A: Includes information about the household, unit, household members, term of the lease, rent owed to the property manager, initial HAP payment amount, and utility responsibilities. Part B: Details requirements for the household and the landlord under the Project-Based Section 8 program.
English | Español | 中文 | Русский

HUD Project-Based Voucher Statement of Family Responsibility:
HUD requires that each household sign a Project-Based Voucher Statement of Family Responsibility document when signing their Project-Based Voucher lease. This document lists the household's obligations under the Project-Based Section 8 program.
English | Español | 中文 | Русский

PACT Residential Lease Rider:
This rider states that if a household is not in an appropriately-sized apartment (meaning that they are in an apartment that is too big or too small for their household) and there is an appropriately-sized apartment available in their development, they will be required to move to the appropriately-sized apartment in their development. Households will not be required to move outside of their development.
English | Español

PACT Smoking Policy Rider:
The PACT Smoking Policy is consistent with NYCHA public housing rules regarding smoking. Smoking tobacco will be prohibited in the PACT development, including common areas and outdoor areas within 25 feet of the development. Using e-cigarettes is prohibited in common areas.
English | Español

PACT Appliance Agreement and Instructions:
If a household has an air conditioner, washing machine, dishwasher, or freezer that they've installed with NYCHA’s permission, they will need to sign this agreement to have it continue being an authorized appliance after the PACT conversion.
English | Español

PACT House Rules
House Rules are not attached here because they will be specific to your development. House Rules will be drafted collectively by your PACT Partner with your Tenant Association and must be approved by NYCHA. There will not be fees or charges in the House Rules that are greater than fees or charges for the same services under NYCHA public housing.

Riders required from renters under NYC and federal law

EPA Lead Paint Disclosure Form:
As required by federal law, this form discloses any known information on the property's lead-based paint hazards.
English | Español

EPA Protect Your Family From Lead in Your Home Booklet:
As required by federal law, this pamphlet and flier explain the dangers of lead-based paint and how to protect your family from potential hazards.
English | Español | 中文 | Русский

NYC Notice for Prevention of Lead Based Paint Hazards-Inquiry Regarding Child:
As required by NYC Law, if a child younger than six lives in the apartment or regularly visits, you must notify the PACT Partner.
English | Español

NYC Notice for Suspected Gas Leaks, Smoke Detecting Devices, and Carbon Monoxide Alarms:
This notice describes the procedures residents shall follow when a gas leak is suspected. It also describes the responsibilities of all NYC landlords to properly install and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

NYC Apartment Building Emergency Preparedness Guide:
This guidebook contains information about fires and other types of emergencies and how to prepare for them.

NYC Apartment Building Individual Emergency Preparedness/Evacuation Planning Checklist:
This checklist helps families prepare for an emergency in New York City.

NYC Apartment Building Emergency Preparedness Form:
This notice contains building-specific information to help your family prepare for an emergency.

DOHMH Window Guard Notice:
This notice states the responsibilities of the PACT Partner to provide and properly install window guards on all windows in apartments with children under 10 years of age, and as requested by other households.
English | Español

NYC Indoor Allergens Notice:
This notice states the responsibilities of the PACT Partner to keep the building free of indoor allergen hazards.
English | Español

DOHMH Stop Bed Bugs Safely (2 pager):
At lease signing, all NYC landlords are required to provide a one-year bed bug infestation history and eradication measures of the apartment and building.

DOHMH Prevention and Getting Rid of Bed Bugs Guide:
This guidebook provides information on the prevention, detection, and removal of bedbugs.
English | Español | 中文 | Русский

PACT Template Documents

Disclaimer: These are template documents as of 12-12-19, which are subject to change by NYCHA based on changing legal requirements or to the extent otherwise acceptable to NYCHA.