Human Resources Administration311Search all websites

I Am Currently in Shelter

To help stop the spread of COVID-19, many HRA locations are consolidating until further notice. If your needs cannot be met by ACCESS HRA, call 311 or consult the HRA Locations page for more information.

If you are currently living in a Department of Homeless Services (DHS) or Human Resources Administration (HRA) shelter, you will automatically be assessed for any rental assistance programs you might be eligible for, such as FHEPS or CityFHEPS.

Your housing specialist or caseworker will help you apply for these programs.

Read the CityFHEPS Frequently Asked Questions for Clients In Shelter in English
Read the CityFHEPS Frequently Asked Questions for Clients In Shelter in Español
Learn More About CityFHEPS

Rental Assistance Programs

Rental assistance programs that may be available include:


CityFHEPS is a rent supplement to help individuals and families find and keep housing. It combines seven previous rental assistance programs into one.

Read the CityFHEPS Frequently Asked Questions for Clients At Risk of Entering Shelter

Learn More About CityFHEPS

The Family Homelessness & Eviction Prevention Supplement (FHEPS)

FHEPS is a rent supplement for families with children who receive Cash Assistance and have been evicted or are facing eviction, who lost their housing due to a domestic violence situation, or who have lost their housing because of health or safety issues.
Learn more about FHEPS

Pathway Home

Pathway Home is a program that enables families and individuals to move out of shelter by moving in with friends or family members ("host families").
Learn more about Pathway Home


HRA HOME TBRA is a United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-funded rental assistance program run by the NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA) under the oversight of the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD). HRA HOME TBRA will help tenants afford the cost of rent. The application period for the HRA HOME TBRA program has closed.
Learn more about Home TBRA

The Special One-Time Assistance Program (SOTA)

The SOTA program provides one year's full rent up front for eligible DHS clients to move within New York City, to other New York State counties, or outside of New York State. SOTA can be accessed by working individuals and families and those who receive SSI, SSD, etc. as long as there is the future ability to make rent payments based on the household's rent not exceeding 50% of the household's income.
Learn more about SOTA

Rental Assistance Forms and Documents

Important forms and documents for rental assistance programs

Veteran Housing Rental Incentives

At the end of December 2015, the federal government announced an end to chronic veteran homelessness in New York City, following a two-year effort by Mayor de Blasio to help veterans who have been homeless for a year or longer find a home. We continue our work to move additional veterans into permanent housing. To support this effort, the incentives described below are currently available to landlords, brokers, and supportive housing providers.

  • 15% Broker Bonus (15% of the annual rent) for brokers who connect homeless veterans with LINC apartments or units that can be subsidized using HUD VASH, HPD Section 8, and MRT vouchers.
  • $1,000 Bonus to Supportive Housing (SH) Providers for each community unit rented to a veteran with a HUD VASH, HPD Section 8, or MRT voucher.
  • $2,000 Bonus to Supportive Housing Providers for each community unit rented to a veteran with a LINC voucher.
  • Access to a Special Supplemental Assistance Fund of up to $3,000 per year for landlords who house veterans, to cover potential damage to the apartment, as well as to assist with the payment of rental arrears, if needed.

HUD-VASH Section 8

Under the HUD-VASH program, eligible low income veterans receive a Section 8 rental voucher alongside case management and supportive services from the VA at VA medical centers and community-based outreach clinics.
Learn more about HUD-VASH

Cash Assistance

If you are eligible for Cash Assistance, your household must be receiving those benefits to qualify for some rental assistance programs.
Learn more about Cash Assistance