Housing Support

Photo of apartment buildings in New York City

Tenancy and Eviction Support Services (Formerly known as Assigned Counsel Project)

The Tenancy and Eviction Support Services (TESS) program (formerly known as the Assigned Counsel Project) is an opportunity for New Yorkers 60 years of age and older who are at risk of being evicted from their homes to receive free legal representation and social services. This is a joint initiative of the New York City Department of the Aging, the Civil Court of the City of New York Access to Justice Program, and the New York City Human Resource Administration (HRA) office of Civil Justice.

The TESS team at NYC Aging helps by conducting psychological assessments and providing case management services to the individuals accepted into the program by the office of the Civil Justice at HRA.

To get in touch with NYC Aging's Tenancy and Eviction Support Services team, email TESS@aging.nyc.gov.

HPD Housing Lottery

The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) creates affordable rent-stabilized apartments and homeownership opportunities for households at a wide range of income levels and sizes. Learn more about HPD’s affordable housing options.

To better serve the growing older adult population, HPD launched Seniors First, a three-pronged strategy including Aging in Place, Developing New Senior Housing on NYCHA Land, and Supporting Seniors through Preservation. Learn more about HPD’s Seniors First initiative.


The New York City Department of Finance (DOF) Rent Freeze Program, which includes the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) Program and the Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) Program, helps residents of rent controlled and rent stabilized apartments stay in affordable housing by freezing their rent payments.


Older tenants who qualify for the SCRIE may have their rent frozen at their current level and be exempt from future increases in the legal rent. To be eligible for SCRIE, at the time of the rent increase:

  • You must be the head of the household;
  • Your total annual household income must be $50,000 or less;
  • Your rent or carrying charges must be greater than one-third of the household's total monthly income; and
  • You must be at least 62 years of age.

SCRIE Applicants living in a Housing Development (HDFC) or Mitchell-Lama apartments must contact the Department of Housing, Preservation and Development (HPD) to apply for SCRIE. For applications and more information, please call 212-863-8494 or visit HPD’s website

For more information about SCRIE, visit Freeze Your Rent or call 311.


People with disabilities may qualify for DRIE. You do not need to be an older adult to be eligible for the program. For more information about DRIE eligibility, visit the DOF website or call 311.