Legal Assistance

 A female holding a pen and notepad holds up her hand while speaking.
Borough-based providers help older New Yorkers get legal help.

Legal Assistance for the Elderly

The Department for the Aging (“NYC Aging”) contracts with local organizations to provide free legal services for older New Yorkers without access to private representation under a program called the Legal Assistance for the Elderly Program. This program provides free legal services to older adults aged 60 years and older in all five boroughs, in multiple languages. The program aims to assist clients with a variety of legal issues including, but not limited to:

  • Legal representation at administrative hearings or in court proceedings, which may include matters such as:
    • Housing issues, including landlord/tenant issues, foreclosure, home repair fraud, utility shut offs, or home ownership/real property;
    • Guardianship, or abuse or neglect cases; or
    • Consumer issues such as consumer fraud, credit card fraud, bankruptcy, or reverse mortgages;
  • Assistance with public benefit applications, recertifications, and/or appeals; and
  • Legal advice, counseling, and referrals.

Some of the scenarios in which older adults find themselves needing legal support through this program include those who are institutionalized or homebound, have chronic health problems, homeless or may become homeless, or are a victim of abuse, neglect or exploitation, or face language barriers.

Local organizations also provide public education to older adults about legal matters so they can be aware of their rights.

To find a find a legal services organization under the Legal Assistance for the Elderly Program, use NYC Aging’s Find Services locator by clicking on “Legal Services” under the “Services” tab, or by calling Aging Connect at 212-AGING-NYC (212-244-6469) for more information.