Support Permitting Agency

Supporting Permitting Agencies

To produce an event, shoot a film, host a block party, conduct a procession, parade, or race; or hold an event in a New York City park, permits and approvals are needed. Read below to learn more about the City's supporting permitting agencies to see if your event needs an additional permit.

Department of Buildings DOB

You must obtain a DOB permit if you intend to build a stage over two feet tall or erect a temporary structure over 10 feet tall. Also if your event expects 200 or more people to gather in a tent outdoors, then you must also obtain a DOB Temporary Place of Assembly permit. If your event has a ride or inflatable, you must provide a DOB Inspection Certificate and insurance.

Learn more about DOB

Department of Consumer Affairs DCA

If you are hosting an event with vendors selling merchandise or food and operating rides or games of chance, you will need to secure a DCA permit.

Learn more about DCA

The Department of Environmental Protection DEP

If you are interested using a fire hydrant or a generator over 40kw for your event, you must obtain a permit from the Department of Environmental Protection.

Learn more about DEP

New York City Fire Department FDNY

When your event uses dangerous flammable materials such as fuel, generators, or pyrotechnics, you must obtain a permit from FDNY.

Learn more about FDNY

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene DOHMH

If your event will serve food or will have petting zoos, pony rides, and other animal exhibits, a permit from DOHMH is required.

Learn more about DOHMH

New York City Police Department NYPD

If you are organizing a parade or procession, you will need a permit from NYPD. When using amplified sound for a musical performance or speaking program, you will also need to obtain a sound permit from the NYPD. You can also acquire "No Parking" signs from your local NYPD precinct.

Learn more about the NYPD

Department of Sanitation DSNY

While DSNY does not issue permits, this City agency is a vital part of event coordination. The department is given the necessary applications to facilitate its own planning, while also taking responsibility for billing sponsors well in advance for personnel and equipment that will be necessary for the clean up after an event.

Learn more about DSNY

Department of Transportation DOT

When using oversized trucks, cranes, electrical wiring, horse drawn carriages, and banners for an event, you are required to obtain a DOT permit. DOT also has the authority to temporarily remove street lights or street signs, as well as bollards, the vertical posts that prevent vehicle access, for events.

Learn more about DOT

Human Resources Administration HRA

When soliciting funds for charitable purposes in the City of New York, you are required to secure a permit from HRA. You must also obtain a permit if you are non-profit organization participating as a vendor in a street fair.

Learn more about HRA

The State Department of Health SDOH

If you are applying for a permit for a public event where peak attendance will reach 5,000 attendees, you are required to apply for a permit from the New York State Department of Health.

Learn more about SDOH

The New York State Liquor Authority SLA

If your event includes selling or distributing alcohol, you must have a special event permit from The New York State Liquor Authority SLA.

Learn more about SLA