Primary Permitting Agencies

Primary Permitting Agencies

To produce an event, shoot a film, host a block party, conduct a procession, parade, or race; or hold an event in a New York City park, permits are required. Read below to learn more about where to apply for a permit.

Street Activity Permit
Office SAPO

The Mayor's Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO), a unit within the Office of Citywide Event Coordination and Management, issues permits for street fairs, festivals, block parties, commercial/promotional events, and other events on the City's streets, sidewalks, and pedestrian islands.

Learn more about SAPO Permits

New York City Police Department NYPD

The New York City Police Department (NYPD) issues parade and sound permits for events throughout New York City. A parade permit is required in order to conduct a procession, parade, or race within the City of New York. A sound permit is issued for events that require amplified sound by a device. Sound permits will be issued by the local precincts.

Learn more about NYPD Permits

Department of Parks and RecreationParks

The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (Parks) manages more than 1,700 parks and facilities within the City of New York. If you wish to hold an event on Parks' property, you must obtain a permit. These permitted events may include athletic events (charitable and non-charitable events), or general, promotional, commercial, and private events held within a park.

Learn more about Parks Parks' Field and Court Permit Application Parks' Special Event Guidelines

Mayor's Office of Media & EntertainmentMOME

The >Mayor's Office of Media & Entertainment (MOME) is the one-stop shop for all production needs in New York City, including free film permits, free public locations, and free police assistance.

Learn more about MOME

Brooklyn Bridge ParkBBP

The Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation, known as Brooklyn Bridge Park (BBP), is the non‐profit organization that plans, builds, maintains, and operates Brooklyn Bridge Park, an 85‐acre sustainable waterfront park stretching 1.3 miles along Brooklyn’s East River shoreline. If you wish to hold an event at Brooklyn Bridge Park, you must obtain a permit from BBP. Permitted events may include single day or league athletic events, wedding ceremonies, commercial or private photography or film sessions, and private events, including any event with more than 20 participants, held within BBP.

Learn more about BBP

Hudson River Park TrustHRPT

Hudson River Park runs along 4+ miles of Manhattan’s west side. The Park permits various activities including, but not limited to, charity and special events, weddings, film and photo shoots, athletic events and field use, as well as general, promotional and private events held in the Park.

Learn more about HRPT