Replacement License/ID Guidelines

If your License/Registration, or Department-issued ID card has become lost or stolen, you must follow these steps in order to obtain another card:

Requesting A Replacement

Requests for a replacement card can be dropped off, mailed, or completed via DOB NOW depending on license/registration type.

  • Master Plumber
  • Rigger (and Foreman cards)
  • Sign Hanger (and Foreman cards)
  • Safety Registrations
  • Registered Professionals
  • Construction Superintendent
  • Site Safety Coordinator
  • Site Safety Manager
  • Welder*
  • Filing Representative
  • Gas Work Qualification*
  • Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractor
  • Registered General Contractor
  • Hoisting Machine Operator
  • Interagency ID Holders
  • Electricians
  • Concrete Safety Manager
  • Oil Burning Equipment Installer
  • Private Elevator Agency Director/Inspector
  • Stationary Engineer
  • Journeyman*

*Must be requested through DOB NOW

The license/registration card will be mailed back to you once the request has been processed.

All documentation must be submitted to:
NYC Department of Buildings
Licensing & Exams Unit
280 Broadway, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10007

Document Submission

When requesting a replacement license/registration you must submit the following:

  1. Completed LIC application for your license/registration type

  2. Lost/Stolen License Affidavit

  3. State/Federal-issued photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, passport, or green card)

  4. Police Incident Report listing the license/registration, or ID card lost or stolen

  5. $50.00 fee

Helpful Links