Licensing Insurance Guidelines
- All insurance certificates must include the following:
- Your license/registration/tracking number
- Your business name, address and phone number that matches Department records
- A Certificate Holder box that reads:
NYC Department of Buildings
Attn: Licensing & Exams Unit
New York, NY 10007
- Typed information; handwritten corrections will not be accepted
- A contact name and phone number/email address
- Scan each insurance type as a separate document in PDF format.
- Workers’ Compensation and Disability insurance cannot be included on the General Liability ACORD 25 form.
- Artisan insurance certificates cannot be provided
General Liability Insurance
- Each occurrence must be a minimum of one million dollars.
- Your insurance producer/broker must provide an original signed and notarized Certification by Broker
- Acord 25 (2013/04) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
- Acord 25 (2014/01) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
- Acord 25 (2016/03) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
Worker's Compensation Insurance
- U26.3 – Certificate of Worker's Compensation Ins (NYS Insurance Fund only)
- C105.2 (09/17) – Certificate of Worker's Compensation Insurance
- GSI 105.2 (02/02) – Certificate of Participation in Worker's Compensation
- Your insurance policy number and Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) must appear on your Disability Certificate.
- DB 120.1 (09/17) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law
- DB 120.1 (10/17) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law
- DB 120.1 (01/18) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law
- DB 120.2 (10/17) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law
Exemption from Worker's Compensation & Disability Insurance
You may submit an Affidavit of Exemption from Worker's Compensation & Disability Insurance if there are no employees in your company.
*NOTE: General Contractors (Registered/Non-Registered) and Safety Registration applicants cannot submit an affidavit of exemption.*
- You must submit the original Affidavit (not a copy).
- Your Affidavit must have an original signature and date.
Licensees/registrants are required to submit license insurance updates in DOB NOW: BIS Options.
- Using the eFiling account associated with your license/registration, log into DOB NOW at nyc.gov/dobnow. Select the BIS Options icon.Visit nyc.gov/efilingtips if you need to create an eFiling account.
- From the BIS Options dashboard, select +License Insurance Updates.
- In the Insurance Information section, select the Edit button under the insurance(s) to be updated to enter new insurance information. Select Save at the top of the screen for the Documents and Statements & Signature tabs to become active.
- On the Documents tab, select +Add Document to upload the required documents. A document for each insurance type is required to be uploaded even if edits were not made to the insurance type as part of the request.
- Attest by selecting the checkbox next to the Applicant’s Statement on the Statements & Signature tab.
- Select Save and then Submit Insurance Updates.
As soon as the insurance updates are submitted, the new insurance information will be available in DOB NOW and the Buildings Information System (BIS).
Elevator Agency Directors submit certificates directly in DOB NOW: Licensing. Select Licensing and Manage Profile to submit the new information.