How to Change from a Class 1 to a Class 2 Filing Representative

UPDATE: New License Application Requirement

Course Requirement Service Notice – As of December 1, 2023, Registration for change from a Class 1 to Class 2 Filing Representative will be issued without proof of training completion until training is available. Applicants must submit an Affidavit agreeing to take the course within 6 months after the course becomes available.

STEP 1: Registration Qualifications

Applicants changing from a Class 1 Filing Representative to a Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative registration must meet at least one (1) of the following:

  • Have a four (4) year degree in Architecture or Engineering from an accredited college; or
  • Have a four (4) year degree in another field from an accredited college and have two (2) years of experience filing 50 jobs as a registered filing representative, within the four (4) years prior to application for registration.

To determine the number of jobs associated with your filing representative registration number on a Plan / Work Application (PW1), use the filing representative search feature in the Buildings Information System or DOB NOW portal.

STEP 2: Applying for Your Registration

You must upload PDF scans of the following original documentation. Pictures of documents will not be accepted. All documents must be signed and notarized within the last 90 days from the date of submission. The following documentation is required:

  • Listing of jobs that were filed under your name and/or registration number verifying that you have filed at least 50 jobs within four (4) years prior to application, if applicable
  •  DOB Appointments Registration Form
  • License Re-issuance Fee - $50.00 payable within the DOB NOW Portal
    NOTE: Applicants requesting to renew and change their registration must check both the renewal and change boxes in section 1 of the LIC8 application.

How To


Helpful Links