Obtain a: NYC Class 1 Filing Representative Registration
UPDATE: New License Application Requirement
NOTE: The Licensing & Exams Unit will not be accepting any walk-in transactions, or paper applications for this process.
Step 1: Registration Criteria
To become a registered Filing Representative, you must:
- Meet registration qualifications (See Step 2)
- Apply for registration (See Step 3)
Section 28-416.2 of the New York City Administrative Code exempts the following persons from registration:
- Professional Engineers
- Registered Architects
- NYS Licensed Attorneys
- Master Plumbers
- Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractors
- Master Electricians
Step 2: Registration Qualifications
Applicants applying for a Class 1 Filing Representative registration must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
To obtain a Class 1 Filing Representative registration, you must complete the following training requirements:
Step 3: Applying for Your Registration
To become a registered Class 1 Filing Representative, you must upload PDF scans of the documentation listed below via the DOB NOW Portal. Applicants that do not currently have an eFiling account will need to create an account by completing the registration form.
Please see the New License Application User Guide for step-by-step directions.
You must upload PDF scans of the following original documentation. Documents must be scanned PDFs, pictures of documents will not be accepted. The following documentation is required for Class 1 applicants:
- Typed and completed Filing Representative Application LIC8 form
- Signed and notarized Code of Conduct confirmation receipt - Applicants will not be able to obtain registration until the 16-Hour Department-Approved Course is completed and a Certificate of Completion is received. Certification of completion must be submitted with all other required documents.
- Original Photo ID (driver’s license, learner’s permit, passport or green card)
- Original Social Security card
- Original proof of residence (utility bill, lease, deed or bank statement) Cell phone bills or credit card statements will not be accepted. If you are unable to provide proof of residence in your name, you may submit a notarized letter from the person you reside with verifying that you reside with them, along with proof of residence in their name
- A typed, notarized letter from your employer on their company’s letterhead verifying your employment and authorization to represent the company; or a typed, notarized letter verifying that you are self-employed
- Completed Child Support Certification form
- Background Investigation Fee - $330.00 payable within the DOB NOW Portal
For questions pertaining to your background investigation or to find out the status, please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- License Issuance Fee - $150.00 payable within the DOB NOW Portal
Step 4: Registration Details
Once all documentation is submitted and approved, you will be able to schedule an appointment within the DOB NOW Portal to take picture and receive the Class 1 Filing Representative registration card.
All Filing Representatives registrations have a transitioned to a three-year cycle beginning on their birthday following the date of renewal. At the end of the term, the Filing Representative must renew their registration to maintain Class 1 status. At that time a $150.00 registration fee will be required.
For more information, visit the Department website at nyc.gov/buildings.