Annual mammograms can help diagnose cancer in its early stages, when treatment has been shown to be most effective. A mammogram – an X-ray of your breast and surrounding tissue – can detect changes and early signs of cancer long before you may notice a lump with a self-exam.
Breast Cancer Screening in New York City
At HHC, we are committed to help you get access to our high-quality, convenient breast cancer screening services. In fact, it’s our goal to make sure all of our female patients between 40 and 70 years old get a mammogram at least every other year – regardless of ability to pay.
We perform more than 100,000 mammograms a year. That type of high volume means you can count on our team for experience and high-quality care. We use advanced imaging equipment and deliver fast, accurate results.
Mammogram: What to Expect
We want to make it easy and stress-free for you to get regular mammogram screenings. Here’s what you should know about the test:
- The procedure takes no more than 20 minutes
- The X-ray machine uses very low doses of radiation to take pictures of your breast tissue
- Your breast will be compressed between two plates briefly – only for a few seconds
- The procedure does not hurt, though you may feel brief discomfort
Financial Assistance for Mammograms
Even if you are uninsured or underinsured, we can help. HHC hospitals offer mammograms at little or no cost.* If you have no insurance, speak to one of our bi-lingual financial counselors to see if you qualify for financial assistance.
We offer breast cancer screening at most of our locations throughout New York City. Find an HHC hospital or health center near you to schedule your mammogram, or call one of the phone numbers listed below.
* If you have insurance, your insurance will be billed. You are responsible for paying any co-payments. Mammograms provided based on the provider's clinical assessment.