Drivers License Renewals can only be made online.
When to Apply for a Renewal
- You can submit a completed renewal license application with all documentation 90 days before it expires to receive a renewed license.
- If you fail to renew your license by the expiration date you will have an additional 180 days to complete all your renewal requirements.
- If renewing late, your license will remain expired until you complete all renewal requirements and TLC processes and approves your late renewal application. After renewal you will be sent a notification that you owe a $25.00 late fee.
- NYS DMV certified Defensive Driving Course (DDC) You must take the course if the file you have with TLC was taken more than 3 years before your license expiration date. Email or Mail TLC proof of completion of a Defensive Driving course completed within three (3) years prior to your license expiration date.
- Certificate of completion of a NYS DMV certified Defensive Driving Course. The course cannot be older than three (3) years prior to your license expiration date. Your certification must indicate the type of course, date course was taken, hours of instruction, name (license #) of instructor, and must include an official ink stamp or seal from the instruction site. You may find all NYS DMV certified DDC classes on the DMV website at Department of Motor Vehicles - Internet Course and Other Alternative Delivery Method Course Providers.
- Watch Sex Trafficking Awareness Training Video (10 minutes)
- DMV abstract - Only if you do not have a NYS DMV driver license. You need an original out of state driver record abstract that is dated no more than 90 days before your license expiration date to the addresses above. Contact your state's DMV to obtain your record abstract.
How to Apply for a Renewal
- Pay any outstanding parking, traffic, or TLC tickets.
- Take a NYS DMV certified Defensive Driving Course, if needed. Visit Reduce points and insurance rate - The Point and Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP) for more information.
- Update Address, Telephone and Email on LARS
- Pay your renewal fee online using LARS.
- Submit any required documents online on TLC UP.
TLC does not accept in-person renewal applications, payments, or document submissions. You can check the status of your renewal application, see all missing requirements, and submit documents to TLC online on TLC UP
- $252 - Vehicle License Renew fee
All TLC Fees are non-refundable - no exceptions!