Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities311Search all websites


The information below can help people with disabilities find housing-related resources, services, and benefits.

You can also download our Access Housing Guide, which is available in English and Español.

Affordable Housing

Housing Connect (HPD/HDC)

Housing Connect's affordable housing developments have income and credit requirements, which vary by development. Most income requirements range from $20,000 to $120,000. Applications are picked through a lottery system. When an applicant is chosen through the lottery, the next step is an eligibility review where the applicant must submit all required documents needed to prove eligibility. Once found eligible, applicants are offered apartments based on log number order. Being picked for an eligibility review does not guarantee an apartment. NYC's affordable housing is comprised of newly constructed and renovated buildings around the city. Applicants can apply online or request a paper application. The lotteries have set asides for people with mobility (5%) and hearing/vision (2%) disabilities. Other preferences exist on a per development basis.

Apply for Affordable Housing Online

Request Paper Applications

  • HPD: 212-863-7990
  • HDC: 212-227-6411

The Housing Ambassadors can help with the application process.

Back to Top

Low-Income Housing

NYC Housing Authority (Public Housing)

Provides rent subsidized housing for those who meet HUD's Section 8 eligibility requirements. Tenants' rent is 30% of their monthly gross income. Due to long waiting lists, priority is given to individuals and families applying from shelters and other agencies.

NYCHA Website
Main Info Line: 718-707-7771
NYCHA Disability Services: 212-306-4652

Project-Based Section 8


The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) subsidizes apartments in buildings around the city. A number of these buildings are designated for those with disabilities. You will need to contact each building directly to request an application. To get a listing, contact HUD's Multi-Family Clearinghouse or use the online search tool to search by city or zip code.

HUD's Development Search
Multi-Family Clearinghouse: 800-685-8470


HPD maintains a list of Project-Based Section 8 developments. You will need to contact each building directly to request an application. - then click on 'Project-Based Vouchers'

Mitchell-Lama (Section 8/236 Rentals)

State-Supervised Listings

City-Supervised Listing

Back to Top

Supportive Housing

Applying for Supportive Housing

More than a dozen NYC nonprofits currently have contracts to provide supportive housing. Generally, this housing is for people with mental/psychiatric disabilities, substance use disorders, or are high-cost Medicaid users. The criteria to live in these apartments varies based on the government agency funding them. The HRA 2010e is the application for Supportive Housing in NYC. This application can only be completed by an authorized professional. A person interested in applying for Supportive Housing should work with the professionals they see to get the HRA 2010e submitted.

HRA's Accessing Supportive Housing

Back to Top

Shared Housing

Home Sharing

A program run by the NY Foundation for Senior Citizens that matches adults with a roommate. The program requires that one party be a senior, so it can help to match seniors with a non-senior, or non-seniors with a senior. The program uses a personality and habits questionnaire to find roommates that will be a good match.

Home Sharing Webpage
Phone: 212-962-7559 (Ask for 'Home Sharing')

Family-Type Homes for Adults

A state program akin to foster-care for adults in need. It is a supportive-housing type program for adults who cannot live alone due to advanced age, developmental disabilities, or physical or mental health (but who do not require skilled medical or nursing services), where a licensed caregiver provides housing and services in their private home. People who use wheelchairs do not qualify, as private homes in NYC are not required to be wheelchair accessible.

Services include:

  • A furnished room
  • Meals
  • Housekeeping and laundry
  • Assistance with some personal care tasks

NYS Family-Type Home for Adults Frequently Asked Questions
Intake: 212-971-2615 or 212-971-0139

Back to Top

Housing Subsidies & Rent Assistance

HRA Rental Assistance Programs

HRA Rental Assistance

Tenant-Based Section 8

Housing Choice Vouchers, also referred to as Section 8 Vouchers, are managed by multiple agencies in New York City. The waiting lists for these vouchers are very long, so they open very occasionally. You can check the status of waiting lists in the area by going to the list of open waiting lists in New York at The following information can help those who already have a voucher or have applied.

NYCHA Section 8 Inquiries and Complaints

NYCHA Section 8 Customer Contact
Phone: 718-707-7771
Portability Unit: 212-306-4149

HPD Section 8 Inquiries and Complaints

HPD Section 8 Webpage
Helpline: 917-286-4300

DHCR Section 8

DHCR Section 8 Webpage
Phone: 212-480-6672

Nursing Home Transition and Diversion Medicaid Waiver Program (NHTD)

This is a program for people with physical/medical disabilities who qualify for 'nursing-home level care'. This is not strictly a housing program! NHTD provides the at-home services needed to live in the community and a housing voucher is one of those services. To apply, call the Regional Resource Development Center (RRDC) and request an NHTD application. Once processed, a Visiting Nurse will be assigned to meet with the applicant to determine their eligibility. Once approved, the applicant will be given a list of local providers to choose from. The local provider will do an assessment of their needs and then apply for the housing voucher.

More NHTD Info
RRDC Phone: 718-816-3555
RRDC Fax: 914-682-8518

NHTD Complaints

Complaints regarding the NHTD Program are addressed by the RRDC Complaint Line. Complaints about the RRDC itself are handled by the NYSDOH NHTD Program.

RRDC Complaint Phone: 718-816-3555 (Program Complaints)
RRDC Complaint Email: (Program Complaints)
NYSDOH NHTD: 518-474-5271 (RRDC Complaints)
NHTD Complaint Process

Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE)

Allows tenants who qualify to have their rent frozen, making them exempt from future rent increases. To qualify, the applicant must be 18 or older; receive some kind of disability related benefit (SSI, SSDI, etc.); have a total household gross income of $50,000 or less; and be named on the lease in a rent regulated apartment or HDFC CoOp.

NYC Rent Freeze Website
Phone: 311

DRIE Ombudsperson

Their job is to help identify and resolve issues with applications or benefits. The ombudsperson is here to help after you have completed the application process.

Rent Freeze Help
Phone: 311

'One Shot Deal' Emergency Assistance Program

Helps people who cannot meet an expense, usually due to an unexpected situation or event. Emergency assistance is provided for, but not limited to, the following situations:

  • Homelessness
  • Dispossess/Eviction
  • Utility disconnected or pending termination
  • Fire disaster
  • Domestic violence
  • Circumstances that affect the health and safety of the individual or family

Access HRA Emergency Assistance Webpage
Phone: 718-557-1399

Back to Top

Programs for Specific Populations

Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities

The New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) has a few programs that assist individuals with developmental disabilities and their income-eligible families find a home of their choice. Start by contacting your local Front Door.

Get Started Accessing Services
OPWDD Info Line: 866-946-9733

Front Doors

  • Bronx: 718-430-0757
  • Brooklyn: 718-642-8576
  • Manhattan: 646-766-3220
  • Queens: 718-217-6485
  • Staten Island: 718-982-1913
  • Full List of Front Door Sites

AHRC Info and Referral Line

Staffed by professionals who can provide valuable information for families of people with developmental disabilities, professionals wishing to make a referral for services, and persons with disabilities.

Phone: 212-780-4491
AHRC Referral Center

Quality Services for the Autism Community (QSAC)

QSAC is a New York-based nonprofit that supports children and adults with autism, together with their families, in achieving greater independence.
Phone: 718-7-AUTISM (718-728-8476)

Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities Complaints

For complaints regarding any programs for adults or children with intellectual or developmental disabilities, call the New York State Justice Center.

NYS Justice Center: 855-373-2122


To help end veteran homelessness, incentives are being offered to landlords, brokers, and supportive housing providers who provide permanent housing to veterans. For help finding housing, Veterans can reach out to the Mission Home Call Center.

Mission Home: 212-232-0560
DHS Veterans Recouces

HIV/AIDS Service Administration (HASA)

Persons living with HIV or AIDS may receive essential benefits and social services through HASA, a program of the New York City Human Resources Administration. HASA offers a rent subsidy for clients in private market apartments. Eligible clients contribute 30% of their income towards rent and HASA pays the rest.

HASA Webpage
Phone: 212-971-0626

Formerly Incarcerated

There are organizations who support successful re-entry from prison and promote alternatives to incarceration.

Fortune Society
Phone: 212-691-7554

Back to Top

For Homeowners

Disabled Homeowners Exemption (DHE)

Provides a property tax exemption to disabled owners of 1, 2, and 3 family houses, condominiums, or cooperative apartments. To be eligible, at least one owner must have a documented physical or mental disability that is not caused by alcohol or drug use. The combined income of the owner(s) and their spouse(s) cannot exceed $58,399 and the property must be the owners' primary residence.

Finance's DHE Webpage

STAR Credit Program

The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance offers this program. The Basic and Enhanced (seniors) STAR Credit benefits save most New York homeowners hundreds of dollars annually. If you're eligible, you'll receive a check for the amount of your STAR savings. Find out more and how to register on the website or by calling.

NYS STAR Credit Webpage
Phone: 518-457-2036

Back to Top

Home Repair & Modifications

Rebuilding Together NYC

An organization that provides financial assistance to homeowners or renters who need accessibility modifications to better access their homes. Examples include: wheelchair ramps and lifts, handrails, easy-to-reach kitchen work and storage areas, lever handles on doors, roll-in showers with grab bars, etc.
Phone: 718-488-8840

Doorways to Independence – ADAPT Community Network

Simple home alterations can be life changing, helping individuals adapt to their home environment. These modifications help people stay in their homes rather than a nursing home or institutionalized settings, while also increasing independence and mobility.
Phone: 877-827-2666

Adele Friedman Housing Accessibility Fund

The Adele Friedman Housing Accessibility Fund was established in 2016 by the Fair Housing Justice Center (FHJC) for the purpose of providing targeted financial assistance to benefit low and moderate income persons with disabilities who need reasonable modifications made to the housing they occupy to make it accessible.

For more information, see the Adele Friedman Housing Accessibility Fund webpage or contact the FHJC at

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Assists income-eligible families and individuals to reduce their heating and cooling costs by addressing health and safety issues in their homes through energy-efficiency measures. Weatherization services reduce the amount of energy required to heat and cool homes and provide hot water, thus reducing energy consumption. Household energy-use reductions result in an average annual savings of more than 20%.

Services may include, but are not limited to:

  • sealing cracks and holes to reduce air infiltration;
  • insulation of attics and walls; heating system repairs or replacement;
  • hot water tank and pipe insulation;
  • installation of energy-efficient lighting and refrigerators;
  • window and outside door repair or replacement;
  • minor repairs to ensure that the installed weatherization materials will perform correctly; and,
  • mitigation of energy-related health and safety issues (indoor air quality improvements, correction of ventilation problems that can lead to mold growth, and identification of lead paint hazards).

HCR Weatherization Program Webpage
Phone: 518-474-5700

Free Fire Alarm Program

The Red Cross and FDNY have collaborated on a program to provide free state-of-the-art smoke and carbon dioxide detectors for New Yorkers. Accessible units are also available. Request one online, by phone, or by email.

Fire Prevention Campaign Webpage
Phone: 877-733-2767

Back to Top

Utilities & Public Services

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

HEAP is a federally funded program that assists low-income New Yorkers with the cost of heating their homes. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency.

HEAP Webpage
Phone: 800-342-3009

Cooling Assistance Benefit

The Cooling Assistance benefit helps eligible households buy and install an air conditioner or fan up to a cost of $800, including installation. The Cooling Assistance benefit typically opens in May. Air conditioners are provided on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants. Applicants are only eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit once every five years. If eligible, a household can get only one air conditioner or one fan. If an air conditioner cannot be safely installed, a fan will be provided.

Cooling Assistance Benefit
Phone: 212-835-7216

Public Service Commission

State agency that takes complaints about public utility companies. They do not take complaints against cell phone companies.

Phone: 800-342-3377

Con Ed Special Services

Find out about free services for Con Ed customers with disabilities.

ConEd Special Services
Phone: 800-293-5680

Back to Top

Homelessness Prevention & Shelters


Homebase will help develop a personalized plan to overcome an immediate housing crisis and achieve housing stability. May be eligible if:

  • Are at imminent risk of entering the shelter system
  • Are low-income
  • Want to remain stably housed in your community

Homebase Webpage

HPD Emergency Housing Services

The Emergency Housing Services (EHS) unit provides emergency relocation services and rehousing assistance to households who have been displaced from their homes because of fires or City-issued vacate orders. Displaced households are placed in family centers and single-room-occupancy hotels in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens.

HPD Emergency Housing
Phone: 212-863-8561

General Shelter Info

The intake facilities for single adults are open 24 hours, seven days a week, including holidays.

  • Interpreters will be made available for people who do not speak English.
  • People with disabilities are encouraged to bring medical documentation to request reasonable accommodations. After going through intake, people with disabilities will be transferred to a shelter facility that most suits their needs.

Shelter Complaints

DHS Ombudsman

DHS Ombudsman Webpage
Phone: 800-994-6494

NYS Division of Shelter Oversight and Compliance

NYS Shelter Oversight Webpage
Phone: 518-486-4040

Intake Centers

Single Women

Franklin Women's Intake Center
1122 Franklin Ave. - Bronx, NY
Phone: 347-417-8240

Single Men

30th Street Intake Center
400-430 E. 30th St. - New York, NY

DHS Single Adults Shelter Info

Families with Minor Children

Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing (PATH)
151 E. 151st Street - Bronx, NY

DHS Families with Children Info

Adult Families

Adult Family Intake Center (AFIC)
400-430 E. 30th Street
New York, NY 10016

DHS Adult Families Info

Safe Horizons (Domestic Violence - HRA)

Assists New Yorkers who are experiencing domestic violence to move from crisis to confidence by providing legal services and shelter placement. Time limited stays, clients are transferred to DHS shelter after time limit.

Contact Safe Horizons
Phone: 800-621-4673

Back to Top

Housing-Related Complaints


The following housing-related complaints can be made through 311:

  • Residential Maintenance Complaints
  • Elevator or Escalator Complaints
  • Indoor Air Quality Complaints
Phone: 311

Rent-Regulated Apartment Complaints

Call the State's Department of Homes and Community Renewal with issues around rent regulation.

Contact DHCR
Phone: 718-739-6400

Nursing Home Complaints

Nursing home complaints can be filed with the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) online or by calling the Hotline.

Submit Nursing Home Complaint
Hotline: 888-201-4563
Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:45 pm


The City Commission on Human Rights enforces the New York City Human Rights Law and protects people who have experienced discrimination. They also assist folks in the process of negotiating reasonable accommodations in the areas of housing, employment, public services etc. For general questions, call the main number. To file a complaint, call the number for scheduling appointments.

Similarly, the New York State Division of Human Rights enforces the State's Human Rights laws. If someone feels they have been discriminated against they can file a complaint with the Division of Human Rights. Once a complaint is filed, the Division of Human Rights will investigate and may present the case in a public hearing.

In addition, an Americans with Disabilities Act complaint can be filed with the US Department of Justice alleging disability discrimination against a State or local government or a public accommodation (including restaurants, doctor's offices, retail stores, hotels, etc.) online, by mail, or fax.

NYC Human Rights
Main: 212-306-7450
Intake: 718-722-3131

NYS Human Rights

Filing a Complaint with DHR
Phone: 888-392-3644

Department of Justice - ADA Complaint

Filing an ADA Complaint
ADA Complaint Form

HUD Fair Housing

HUD's Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity investigates the following types of complaints: discrimination under the Fair Housing Act (including housing that is privately owned and operated); discrimination and other civil rights violations in housing and community development programs, including those funded by HUD.

File a Fair Housing Complaint
Phone: 800-669-9777

Source of Income (SOI) Discrimination Unit

The Department of Social Services has a unit that is dedicated to fighting landlords who discriminate against New Yorkers with rental subsidies. It is illegal for any housing provider (landlord, managing agent, broker, real estate agent, etc.) to deny an apartment to someone based on their source of rental payments.

Phone: 929-221-6576

Public Advocate

The Office of the Public Advocate assists with complaints and inquiries involving government-related services and regulations. From resolving housing complaints to combating abuse by agencies, the Office helps thousands of New Yorkers annually by improving transparency and accountability of City government.

Need help now? Use our Constituent Help Desk Intake Form. You may also contact the Office of the Public Advocate by phone, email, mail, fax or visit in person:

  • Telephone Hotline: 212-669-7250
  • Email:
  • Address: 1 Centre Street, 15 Floor North. New York, NY 10007
  • Walk-in Office Hours: Monday thru Thursday from 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
  • Fax: 212-669-4701

Post Office Complaints

For complaints regarding mail fraud or postal service, call the following number.

Postal Inspector Complaint
Phone: 877-876-2455

Back to Top

Housing Court Answers

Educates and empowers NYC tenants and small homeowners through Information Tables and a hotline. They can explain Housing Court and housing law, rent arrears assistance, and homeless prevention guidance. They also assist NYCHA tenants with an Information Table at 250 Broadway.
Phone: 212-962-4795

HRA's Office of Civil Justice (OCJ)

If you are facing eviction, if you need help with an immigration matter, if you are a worker facing wage theft or other workplace violations, or if you are facing other legal challenges, you may have access to free legal assistance through HRA's Office of Civil Justice (OCJ).

OCJ Webpage

Mayor's Office to Protect Tenants (MOPT)

They want to make sure all renters have the resources they need to understand their rights and responsibilities—-and have the tools they need.

Tenant Resource Portal

Back to Top

Other Resources

Office of the Taxpayer Advocate

The Office of the Taxpayer Advocate is independent from other parts of the Department of Finance and reports directly to the Commissioner of Finance. They recommend policy changes or request that the Department of Finance act on behalf of NYC taxpayers.

About the Taxpayer Advocate
Phone: 212-312-1800

BCID's Open Doors Program

A program that assists people in institutional settings (nursing home, group home, etc.) to transition into community-based housing options.

Phone: 844-545-7108

DFTA – Senior Housing

You can get information about housing options for seniors aged 60 and older who live in New York City and are frail or living with Alzheimer's, dementia, or disabilities. These housing options provide personal care or health care services to residents.

Housing options include:

  • Nursing homes
  • Adult homes
  • Assisted living
  • Enriched housing

Services may include:

  • Activities
  • Bathing and dressing assistance
  • Group meals
  • Housekeeping
  • On-site medical and nursing care
  • Supervision

The appropriate options depend on the senior's needs, health condition, and financial situation. You must provide your daytime phone number or email address so the Department for the Aging (DFTA) can follow up with you. Details about the different options and referrals to facilities will be provided.

Contact Aging Connect
Phone: 212-Aging-NYC (212-244-6469), or call 311

Back to Top