DCWP’s online services will be unavailable:

  • Thursday, June 27: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Resolve a Complaint

Resolve a Complaint

Download What Happens to Your Complaint? as PDF in English | Español (Spanish) | العربية (Arabic) | বাংলা (Bengali) | 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified) | 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional) | Français (French) | Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole) | 한국어 (Korean) | Język Polski (Polish) | Русский (Russian) | ردو (Urdu)

What Happens to Your Complaint?

  1. You file a complaint and want help from the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP). You include all documents about your complaint (store receipts, bill of sale, warranties, contracts, cancelled checks, letters to the business, judgments, etc.). DCWP cannot process your complaint without these documents.

  2. DCWP reviews your complaint and supporting documents. If DCWP is not the correct agency to assist you, DCWP returns your complaint materials and, in most cases, includes contact information for the agency that can help you.

  3. If DCWP is the correct agency to assist you, DCWP processes your complaint and may assign a mediator to handle it. DCWP gives you the case number which you should reference during any follow-up.

  4. During the mediation process, DCWP sends a copy of your complaint to the business for written response. Then, mostly over the phone, a DCWP mediator speaks with both you and the business to try to reach an agreement and settle the matter.

    Note: You can use your case number to check consumer complaint status online

If you filed a complaint but have not heard from DCWP after 45 days, please:

Please provide your NYC311 Service Request number.

Note: DCWP cannot serve as your attorney or give you legal advice. Please be aware that copies of all of your correspondence will be forwarded to the business that is the subject of your complaint, and may be provided to other governmental agencies. It is DCWP’s policy to remove your personal identifying information when releasing records pursuant to public records requests.