License Renewal: Master & Special Electrician
Step 1: Submit Application & Supporting Documents
Master and Special Electricians must renew their licenses online. If you do not already have an eFiling account will need to create an account by completing the registration form. If you already have an eFiling account, please proceed to Submitting Your Supporting Documents.
To complete the online renewal process, Master and Special Electricians must submit the following documents in PDF format via the DOB NOW Portal in the BIS Options section:
*Note: See the Licensing Renewal Application User Guide for step-by-step directions.*
Supporting documents include:
- Original, typewritten LIC38: Electrical License Application
- Recent utility bill (electric, gas, water), bank statement, lease or deed with the Licensee’s name and address, if the home address has changed
- Completed, typewritten LIC34: Licensing Supplemental Affidavit (if applicable)
- LIC51 application
*Note: Renewal applicants may fill out the LIC51 Voluntary Authorization for Service of Process by Email if they would like to receive Notices of Violation (NOV)/Summonses via email.*
- Photo ID (Driver’s License)
- Current Department-issued license card.
- Current license card, must be exchanged at the time of your renewal in order for you to receive your new license card
- As of January 1, 2016, all Master & Special Electrician license renewals will require successfully completing a Department-approved Course of at least eight (8) hours; must submit the original certificate from an approved school
- Firm Account Receipt with zero balance
*Note: Licensed Master Electricians with Corporations or other entities registered with New York State Department of State must have an ACTIVE business to complete the renewal process. If your business is not active in the State’s Division of Corporation and Business Entity Database your license will not be renewed. Your corporation must be the same corporation you had when you last went before the Electrical Board.*
Step 2: Pay Renewal Fees
- License $60.00 – paid at the time of renewal via online portal
- Seal $30.00 – paid at the time of renewal via online portal
- $400.00 – paid at the time of renewal via online portal (A notarized affidavit on the electrician’s letterhead bearing their department issued seal must be submitted indicating why they a renewing late)
You will receive your license card in the mail at you place of business. Please ensure the Department has the correct business address associated with your license, and you can receive mail at the address.