- Minimum age: 19
- Have a Valid DMV Chauffer's license- Class A, B, C, or E
- You must have a valid Social Security Number
- No fines or fees owed to NYS DMV or TLC
- No more than 5 points on your DMV license within a 15 month period back from your most recent violation date
- To see the "fit to hold a license" requirements look at Fitness Rules Notice.
Before starting your application make sure you have the following documents available:
- Social Security Card
- Copy of Chauffeur License or its equivalent. In New York State, this is a Class A, B, C or E license. If outside of NYS, check with your state driver licensing agency.
- DMV Abstract (for out of state DMV licenses only): An original out of state driver record that is dated no more than 90 days from the date the application is filed online.
- Medical Exam: A license physician must complete the Medical Certification Form - New Driver Applicant (English)
- Visit Defensive Driving for information on Course Certification
- Credit Card, Debit Card, or Checking Account.
For members of NYPD and active or veteran members of the armed forces only:
- If you work for the NYPD, as an officer: A copy of the Letter of Approval from your Commanding Officer and an Off Duty Employment Form. The form must be signed and approved by your commanding officer and the Employee Management Division.
- If you are in the Active Military or Reserves: A copy of a certificate of current active military status and your military ID. Request records from the Department of Defense.
- If you are a Veteran of the US Armed Forces: A copy of discharge papers or a certificate of release (Form DD214) and your Veteran ID. Request records from the US National Archives.
- Start a TLC application online by visiting LARS.
- Take a Drug Test
- Have your fingerprints and photo taken
- Visit IdentoGO to schedule an appointment. Use service code 15425Y.
- Complete NYSDMV 6 hour Defensive Driving Course - You must complete a New York State DMV-certified Defensive Driving Course within 90 days of submitting your online application, unless you have previously completed one no more than three (3) years prior to the date you filed your application. For more information visit Defensive Driving.
- You can upload the certificate online on TLC UP.
- Complete Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Training - Visit TLC Driver Education to view the requirements and see a list of course providers.
- Complete the 24 hour Driver's Education course - Applicants must complete a 24 hour TLC Driver Education Course and pass an 80-question multiple choice exam on a computer with a grade of 70% or higher (you must answer 56 out of 80 questions correctly in order to pass).
- Visit TLC Drivers Education to view the requirements and get a list of course providers.
- You can upload the certificate online on TLC UP
- Pay all parking tickets - Visit Pay a Parking Ticket
- Pay all traffic tickets - Visit New York Department of Motor Vehicles
- Watch Sex Trafficking Awareness Training (10 minutes)
NOTE: You must complete all these steps within 90 days from the date of your application, or your application will be denied.
Total Cost = $598.25 to $698.25
- $252 - three year license
- $32 - Drug testing
- $90.25 - Fingerprint and photos
- $100-$175 - 24 Hour Class
- $49 - Exam fee per attempt
- $50-$75 - Wheelchair Assistance Training
- $25 - Defensive Driving Course
All TLC fees are non-refundable - no exceptions!
Download The Licensing Guide in Different Languages