Frequently Asked Questions: Settlements

DCWP’s online services will be unavailable:

  • Thursday, June 27: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

On July 24, 2023, DCWP launched a new system to replace its prior online services and provide additional features for businesses, consumers, and workers. Note: If you had an online account with DCWP before July 24, 2023, please use the same email address you provided DCWP. This will allow you to link your business records to the new system. Read Online Services - FAQs.

Frequently Asked Questions – Settlements

Read Frequently Asked Questions – Settlements below or download as a PDF in: English | Español (Spanish) | العربية (Arabic) | বাংলা (Bengali) | 中文 - 简化字 (Chinese - Simplified) | 中文 - 繁體字 (Chinese - Traditional) | Français (French) | Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole) | 한국어 (Korean) | Język Polski (Polish) | Русский (Russian) | ردو (Urdu)

Click a question, or press the enter key on a question, to reveal its answer.

What is a settlement?

A settlement is an opportunity to plead guilty to the charge(s) in the Summons instead of attending the hearing. You must:

  • pay a reduced fine; and/or
  • cure (correct) the violations (if eligible).

How can I settle my case?

If you got an Offer of Settlement letter in the mail:

If you did not get an Offer of Settlement in the mail:

  • Email or text to ask if settlement is an option. Include your Summons Number and business name.

    DCWP must get your email or text at least one business day before the hearing date.

    If you can settle, DCWP will confirm the reduced fine amount or include cure instructions if you can correct violations.

Do I have to settle?

No. You can attend the hearing at the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH) to deny the charge(s). The hearing date and time are on your Summons. You may bring an attorney or representative to the hearing to present evidence and arguments.

When can I settle?

You must settle at least one business day before the hearing date.

How can I pay the reduced fine in my Offer of Settlement letter?

You can pay in ONE of three ways. No matter how you pay, DCWP must get your payment at least one business day before the hearing date.

  1. By Mail
    Send a check or money order payable to DCWP to:

    Attn: Collections Division
    42 Broadway
    New York, NY 10004

    Use the return envelope that DCWP provided (if applicable). Include your Summons Number and business name on your check or money order.
  2. Online

    Go to and click “Pay Fines and Fees” in the For Businesses module for the directions to pay online by credit card.

    Accepted cards include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a convenience fee.
  3. In Person *By Appointment Only

    42 Broadway, Lobby
    New York, NY 10004

    By Appointment Only Hours:
    Friday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
    Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.

    To schedule an appointment, email or call (212) 436-0259 (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.).

    You can pay by credit card, money order, check only. Credit card payments are subject to a convenience fee.

Can I request a hearing or appeal after I pay the reduced fine?


By paying the reduced fine, you pleaded guilty to the charge(s) and can no longer request a hearing or appeal on the charge(s).

Did you receive a settlement offer from DCWP's Office of Labor Policy & Standards (OLPS)? Read Frequently Asked Questions – Settlement Offers from DCWP's OLPS