Small Business Team
The Small Business Team (SBT) provides small business owners and entrepreneurs the dedicated DOB support they need. With a single point of contact at DOB, this allows you to have one-on-one guidance so your planned or ongoing construction projects can move to completion. Whether opening a new place of business or renovating an existing one, SBT gives the City’s small business owners and entrepreneurs the dedicated support they need.
Contact SBT through the Small Business Help Form to get your project to completion and your business up and running faster. For additional resources and support, contact the NYC Department of Small Business Services' NYC Business Express Service Team (BEST).
Get Your Project OPEN for Business
Need assistance on your latest construction project? SBT will answer your project-related questions and applications. Through the Small Business Team, you will get:
- Dedicated Team of Project Advocates. One point of contact for answers, coordination, and project scope management to help your business open on time without issues.
- One-on-one guidance. Providing support at NO COST for your planned or ongoing construction projects, including assistance with inspections, permits, and overall general advice.
- Proactive Consultations. SBT will provide answers up front to avoid issues down the road, creating a project road map to facilitate completing your project on time.
- Interagency Assistance. Working closely with our partners at the SBS' Business Express Service Team, we help you coordinate with other City agencies to resolve technical and operational issues relating to your project or property, so your project is done right and on time.
Use the Small Business Help Form to contact SBT and get more information. Don't wait...Get started!
Additional Assistance & Resources
- Are you starting a cannabis business?
SBT is here to help you get your Conditional Adult-Use Retail Dispensary (CAURD) construction project to completion and your retail store up and running. See the Cannabis Business: Adult-Use Retail Dispensary Guide for more information. Use the NYC Guide to Locating Cannabis Businesses in Compliance with the NYC Zoning Resolution to learn more about where your CAURD can be located.
NOTE: A CAURD License is the first retail dispensary license to be distributed for legal adult-use cannabis sales in New York State. CAURD licenses are awarded to businesses owned by justice-involved New Yorkers and close family members, setting a foundation for an equitable industry.
- Buildings After Hours
Our borough offices stay open later every Tuesday from 4:00pm to 7:00pm, for our plan examiners, inspectors and staff to help you get your project from inception to completion. Contact the borough office where your property is located. In addition, each borough will have SBT presence once a month. See schedule:
- 1st Tuesday of the month: Queens & Staten Island
- 2nd Tuesday of the month: Manhattan
- 3rd Tuesday of the month: Brooklyn
- 4th Tuesday of the month: Bronx
- Get Property History
Using tools like the Building Information System (BIS) and the DOB NOW Public Portal, you can review the history of any building in New York City. You can find violations, permits and complaints that were reported. The building history also shows the current status of the information as active or resolved.
- Get Job Status Updates
Sign-up to receive free email notifications on the status of construction projects filed with the Department. Use this form to sign-up to receive weekly job status email notifications and enter your email address and the Job Number(s) of the construction project(s) you want to receive status updates. The Department will send you weekly emails showing the status of each Job Number entered.
Get information on…
Still Have Questions?
For general questions, submit an inquiry at Small Business Support.