Skilled Trades Project Requirements:
Public Right-of-Way Encroachments: Allowable Work Without A Registered Design Professional Submitting Construction Documents For Department Approval

Permits are tied to the project scope of work and work type, and the permits are regulated according to the nature of the work, licensing, and registration requirements for the work being performed. There are several aspects of public right-of-way encroachment work, including but not limited to the installation of architectural façade details, marquees and associated drains, awnings, wall signs, wall mounted lighting, and ramps, which can only be performed by Contractors with specialized trade licenses to perform such required work. Work permits are issued to these specialized trade license holders, who are also registered with the Department

Master Plumber

The work outlined can only be performed by a Licensed Master Plumber. However, if the project exceeds the work allowed under the two categories of limited boiler work listed, a Registered Design Professional must submit construction plans for approval by the Department in order to obtain a work permit.

Limited Plumbing Alteration

Administrative Code §28-101.5 provides the definition of Limited Plumbing Alteration, to specify repair to a gas boiler system that is limited in scope under two (2) categories:

Category 1

Has cost and time period limitation - $35,000 cost limitation per building including appliance and labor in any 12 month period – only the following can be done:

  1. New Piping.  Installation of new plumbing or fuel gas piping. (not including Category 2 work)

Category 2

Has no cost or time period limitation but only the following can be done:

  1. Piping.  Reroute existing plumbing or fuel gas branch piping to serve the same number of existing equipment.

Licensed Electrician

A new installation, alteration, or repair of electric wires, wiring apparatuses and appliances or equipment shall be performed by a New York City licensed electrical contractor. All electrical work such as, but not limited to, installing conduits, wires, lighting fixtures and switches, panelboards, controls, etc., require an electrical permit before commencing such electrical work.

The Electrical Contractor shall coordinate with the Registered Design Professional (RDP), other members of the design team, and all other construction trade contractors where projects have other aspects to the work in addition to electrical. For such projects, the Department only requires the submission of a separate electrical permit application. When an electrical permit application by the Licensed Electrical Contractor includes a large electrical installation (see classifications of large installations under electrical advisory board plan examination listed below), such an electrical permit application must reference the general project application number for permit issuance.

Electrical construction documents are not required to be submitted by a Registered Design Professional to the Department as part of the electrical or general permit application, except as follows:

  • Electrical Advisory Board plan examination. Submitted by either a Registered Design Professional or a Licensed Electrician
    • Electrical Equipment with a capacity of 1000 KVA or larger.
    • Electrical installation that utilizes 1000 Volt or higher.
    • Electrical Service Installations with 1000 KVA totaling.

Public Right-of-Way Encroachments

Skilled Trades Links

Helpful Links