Obtain a: Class A Hoisting Machine Operator License
UPDATE: New License Application Requirement
NOTE: The Licensing & Exams Unit will not be accepting any walk-in transactions, or paper applications for this process.
Step 1: License Criteria
To become a New York City-licensed Class A Hoist Machine Operator, you must:
- Meet the License Qualifications (see Step 2)
- Apply for and pass the appropriate National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO) written and practical examinations (see Step 3)
- Apply for and pass the Background Investigation (see Step 4)
- Apply for your license (see Step 5)
Step 2: License Qualifications
All applicants applying for a Class A Hoist Machine Operator license must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old
- Be able to read and write the English language
- Be fit to perform the work authorized by the license
- Have good moral character so as not to adversely impact your ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of a Hoisting Machine Operator
- Have minimum of at least three (3) years of experience, within five (5) years prior to applying for a Hoisting Machine Operator license, operating hoisting machines in New York City under the direct supervision of a Class A or B Hoisting Machine Operator licensed by the Department. The experience must have been obtained on hoisting machines of a type, size, and capacity authorized to be operated by a Class A licensed hoisting machine operator.
For applications submitted on or after July 1, 2019, at least two (2) years of the required three (3) years of experience must have been in the operation of mobile cranes with a manufacturer’s rated capacity in excess of 50 tons (45.36 t) or in the operation of tower cranes. Additionally, the three (3) years of experience must include but not be limited to outrigger placements incorporating at least one hundred (100) crane set ups*, 25 of which must have occurred on machinery for which a NYC Class A license is required. All set-ups must have occurred at a jobsite, crane yard, training center, or other location acceptable to the Commissioner.
*Where an applicant for a Class A Hoisting Machine Operator license already possesses a Class C Hoisting Machine Operator license, the requirement for the remaining 75 set-ups on non Class A machinery is waived.
Step 3: Exam Requirements
To become a licensed Class A Hoist Machine Operator the applicant must pass the appropriate National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO) written and practical examinations. Candidate handbooks and application information can be found on the NCCCO website.
National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO)
To obtain a Class A Hoist Machine Operator license, you must show a valid NCCCO certification card with at least the following four (4) endorsements:
- Telescopic boom cranes (swing cab) (TLL)
- Telescopic boom cranes (fixed cab) (TSS)
- Lattice boom truck crane (LBT)
- Lattice boom crawler crane (LBC)
Additional Exam for Tower Cranes
In addition to showing a valid NCCCO certification card containing the four above certifications, to operate a tower crane, the applicant must additionally show a valid NCCCO certification card containing the following certification:
Step 4: Background Investigation
Once you have obtained a NCCCO certification, you must upload PDF scans of the documentation listed below via the DOB NOW Portal. Applicants that do not currently have an eFiling account will need to create an account by completing the registration form.
Please see the New License Application User Guide for step-by-step directions.
You must upload PDF scans of the following original documentation. Pictures of documents will not be accepted. Documents must be scanned PDFs.
- Current NCCCO certification card as cited above
- LIC50 or LIC51 application
*NOTE: Applicants with a home address outside of New York City’s five (5) boroughs must complete the LIC50 Authorization for Service of Process by Agent. Applicants may also fill out the LIC51 Voluntary Authorization for Service of Process by Email even if they reside within the City of New York.*
- LIC61 Physical Exam Form must be completed within 90 days
- Proof of Certification of Compliance with substance abuse provisions. The Department will provide a substance abuse policy compliance document for you to complete during your appointment
- Typed and notarized letter from the applicant listing the name, address and telephone number of the laboratory that performed the substance abuse test and consent for the laboratory to the release such information to the Department
- NYC Buildings Employment Verification Forms from all licensed Hoisting Machine Operators that supervised the Applicant’s work during the years he or she is claiming as experience
*NOTE: The Experience Verification Forms must come from the licensed Hoisting Machine Operator who supervised your work during that time, not from Human Resources. The supervising Licensee must hold at minimum, the class of license for which the Applicant is applying. NYC Buildings Experience Verification forms, posted on the Department website must be submitted with the Background Investigation Questionnaire.*
- Social Security History of Earnings for the years you are claiming as experience - this is NOT the Social Security Statement.
*NOTE: There is a fee charged by the Social Security Administration for this service. You must request the report to be run by ‘company name’. You may request the information by mail or in-person (ordinarily you can receive this instantly in person).Visit Social Security Earnings Information page for more information.*
- Current Driver’s License – if driver’s license is from outside of NY, applicant must submit a driving abstract from the Department of Motor Vehicles in State of license issuance. Any licenses with driving conditions or restrictions will not be acceptable.
- Proof of residence (utility bill, lease or deed) or a typed notarized letter and bill from the person you are residing with
*NOTE: Cell phone bills will not be accepted.*
- National Certification Practical Exam Results showing type of equipment on which you were tested (Friction or Non-Friction)
- Background Investigation Fee - $500.00 payable within the DOB NOW Portal
For questions pertaining to your background investigation or to find out the status, please send inquiries to email@example.com.
- License Issuance Fee - $50.00 payable within the DOB NOW Portal
Step 5: Obtaining Your License Card
If the Department determines you meet all the qualifications and you pass the Background Investigation, you will be able to schedule an appointment within the DOB NOW Portal to take picture and receive the Hoist Machine Operator Class A license card. You have one (1) year from the date of notification to obtain your license. For more information, visit the Department website at www.nyc.gov/buildings.