Project Categories: Building Systems Installation & Modifications: Solar Energy
Solar work is the new installation, repair, modification, extension or alteration of any Solar Energy System installed on a building as accessory to the building, and connected to the electrical and structural systems of the building. Solar installations such as solar landscape lights are not regulated by NYC Construction Codes and therefore do not require work permits for their installation. The major components of a solar photovoltaic (PV) system include the following:
- Individual solar panels (also known as modules) made of photovoltaic cells. These panels can be wired together in a group called a string and can be combined together to create a complete group of modules in a system known as a PV array.
- Inverters convert the variable direct current (DC) output from photovoltaic (PV) solar panels into a utility frequency, alternating current (AC), which can be fed into the electrical grid of the utility's network. The inverter is a critical balancing component in a photovoltaic system.
- The utility meter tracks electricity from a solar energy system sent to the utility for credits and electricity sent from the utility when the solar energy system does not provide all needs.
- Electrical safety gear (fuses, breakers, disconnects, and monitoring of equipment).
- Batteries may be added for storage of the energy generated.
Solar Energy Systems can either be connected to the local utility’s power grid, or not. If the system installation is not connected to the utility grid (i.e. off-grid), then the energy generated from the system is stored in a battery bank.
Building Systems Installation & Modifications
Alterations COMING SOON!
Demolition COMING SOON!
New Buildings COMING SOON!