Block Parties and Street Fairs

Applying for a Block Party Permit

The Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO) under the Mayor's Office of Citywide Event Coordination and Management issues permits for street festivals, block parties, farmers markets, commercial or promotional events, and other events on the City's streets, sidewalks and pedestrian plazas while protecting the interests of the City, the community, and the general public.

  • Applications must be submitted 60 days prior to the event
  • Applicants must be a member of a block association and given permission by their neighbors
  • Event is limited to 9 consecutive hours on one day and one block
  • Rain dates are not permitted
  • Event must be open to all neighbors on the block; not a private party (e.g. a birthday party)
  • Cannot charge a fee to participate or fundraise
  • Pay a non-refundable processing fee by credit or debit card of $25 ($20 for Open Culture Event).

Once the processing fee is paid, the application is submitted directly to SAPO, NYPD, Community Board and the appropriate Plaza Partner when applicable.

CB4 Application Process

  1. Review the 83 Precinct's Street Closing Denial and Blocked Off Dates lists (see below) to verify your block is able to have a street event and the date is available.
  2. Contact the CB4 District Office to confirm your chosen date as the 83 Precinct only permits five (5) block parties per day. Dates are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  3. Submit the block activity cover page and signature forms to the CB4 District Office. The signatures of 65% of the residents, who live on the block, are required to demonstrate notification and consent to the block closure.
  4. Email with the subject line 'Block Activity Forms: <insert your block and the cross streets>' or visit the District Office at 1420 Bushwick Avenue, Rm. 370, Brooklyn, NY 11207 to obtain the required forms.
  5. Apply online by visiting E-Apply, SAPO's electronic application system. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the SAPO office at (212) 788-0025 during business hours of Monday through Friday 9 AM – 5 PM EST.

View the 2024 83 Precinct Blocked Off Dates

View the 2024 83 Precinct Street Closing Denial List - contact the 83rd Precinct 

Blocks that are on the street closing denied list must follow up with the 83rd Precinct for additional information.

No applications will be approved without the required signatures, which MUST have the resident's name, address, and a daytime phone number.

Sound permits, should you plan to have amplified sound, may be obtained at the local precinct (83rd Precinct, 480 Knickerbocker Avenue) no later than 5 days before the event. The fee is $45.00 per block party. All sound permits expire at 7:00pm.

No applications will be approved on the following dates including, but not limited to, parades, street permits, religious ceremonies, and cleanups:

  • All major holidays
  • Puerto Rican Day Parade Weekend
  • Dominican Day Parade Weekend

Multi-block and/or Multi-day Events/or Special Events

All applications for multi-block and/or multi-day street events should be filed with the Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO) no later than December 31st of the preceding year of the event. Please be advised that rain dates or other forms of make-up dates will not be accepted for multi-day and/or multi-block events. Applications for street fairs will ONLY be approved if the event was held in 2016.

Please Note: All Special Events to be held in the current year must be submitted before December 31st the previous year.

If you have any questions, please call the board's office at 718-628-8400.

Additional Block Party Information from SAPO

  • A block party is a community sponsored, public event where there are no sales of goods or services. Block parties are limited to one block and one day. If you are interested in hosting a block party, read below for more information or apply here.

    When hosting a block party, keep in mind the following:

    • You may not sell food or other goods and services
      • If you would like to fundraise, sell food or other items at your event, read more about hosting a single block festival
    • Alcohol, vendors, commercial branding and sponsorships are not permitted at block parties
      • If your event has branding or includes vendors like a food truck or a health screening van, your event may be categorized as a street event or a single block festival
    • You may require additional permits. All other agency permits must be obtained before we can grant your street activity permit Examples include: