Please be advised that walk-in services for the Cash Bail and Court & Trust window at the Manhattan Business Center located at 66 John Street on the 2nd floor is available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

You can also schedule an appointment for the following services.

Cash bail services

  • Abandonment letter received
  • Form/document drop-off
  • Refund check pick up

Court & Trust services

  • Forms/Document Drop-off
  • Withdrawal Check Pickup

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Court Assets unit at (212) 908-7619 or online at:

Cash Bail:
Court & Trust:

Funds can be deposited with the Department of Finance only by order of the court. You may deposit funds with the Department of Finance by submitting a certified copy of the court order directing the payment along with the check made payable to the Commissioner of Finance. Documents can be filed by mail or in person at the address listed below.

Mail to:

Department of Finance
Court Assets Unit
66 John Street,12th Floor
New York, NY 10038

Please be sure to include your contact information so The Department of Finance can mail you a receipt for the deposit.


Manhattan Business Center
66 John Street, 2nd Floor - Window 5
New York, NY 10038
Hours: Monday thru Friday - 9:00am to 4:30pm

All withdrawals of monies deposited into court, which are forwarded to the New York City Department of Finance, can only be made by submitting a certified copy of a court order specifically directing such payment (ref. CPLR 2606, 2607; see also 8010).

Submit an application for a certificate of deposit

  1. Prepare an Application for a Certificate of Deposit Please read the instructions on page 4 of the application carefully before completing. Do not leave any blank spaces. If a statement is not applicable, put ‘n/a”.
  2. Mail your completed application to the address indicated on the form or you can bring the application to the Manhattan Business Center.
  3. The Court Assets Unit will return the Certificate of Deposit to you within five business days.

Obtain a certified court order

  1. Submit a petition to the court for a withdrawal court order. The Certificate of Deposit must be attached to your petition to the court. All court orders must direct the Department of Finance or the Commissioner of Finance to pay the specified person(s) the specified amount(s) plus interest less lawful fees. Checks will be printed and mailed as per court order, therefore please include any special mailing instructions in the court order.

    Lawful Fees: New York State Law (CPLR 8010) provides: “The treasurer of a county or the commissioner of finance of the city of New York is entitled for the services specified to the following fees: 1. two per cent upon a sum of money paid out of court by him; 2. one-half of one per cent upon a sum of money invested by him”
  2. Once order has been signed by the judge, it must be certified by the County Clerk’s Office.
  3. All payees, including attorneys, must complete a W-9 form providing the social security number or tax identification number. Failure to provide this information may result in IRS penalties or backup withholding.
  4. The certified copy of the court order, along with the original and properly executed W-9(s) and any other documents requested by the Court Assets Unit, should be submitted by mail to the Department of Finance at the address below. Upon receipt of all documentation, the order will be processed within ten business days and check(s) mailed to the person(s) named in the court order.

New York City Department of Finance
Treasury/Court Assets Unit
66 John Street, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10038

These instructions are of a general nature and are applicable to most common transactions. In more complicated situations, we suggest you call the Court Assets Unit at (212) 908-7619, fax to (646) 500-7072, or visit the Court Assets Unit for assistance. We may find it necessary to request additional documentation.

Every April, any court funds not claimed after three years, are considered abandoned and are sent to the State of New York. Each September DOF posts a preliminary list of abandoned funds on this website, and then posts the final list on January 31.

Court & Trust Cases (Scheduled to be Abandoned in 2021)

If you would like to claim abandoned court funds after they have been sent to the State of New York, you must contact the New York State Comptroller's Office..


W-9 form - Federal tax form provides information necessary so Finance can report the payment to the Internal Revenue Service. The IRS will send the payee Form 1099 showing taxable income.  For more information, visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.

Signature Verification Form - This form is used in Court and Trust cases when it is necessary to obtain the notarized signatures of all persons (individuals, attorneys, corporations) to whom payment is being made. This form is required for all payees whose notarized signature does not appear on the Application for Certificate of Deposit.

Additional Forms