Secondhand Dealer Auto

Secondhand Dealer Auto License Application Checklist

Who Must Have a Secondhand Dealer Auto License?

You must have a Secondhand Dealer Auto license if you buy or sell secondhand automobiles.

This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Secondhand Dealer Auto license.

Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Secondhand Dealer Auto License

See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCWP can only consider complete applications for license issuance.

  • Basic License Application
  • Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number
  • Department of Buildings Document
  • Fingerprints and Processing Fee
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
  • License Fee

Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.

Important Message about Business Certificate

You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure. Although DCWP does not require submission of your Business Certificate in order to process your application, DCWP may request this document under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.

Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.

Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.

Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. You can check your status at


DCWP will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:

  • Basic License Application.
    Online submission: After reviewing the requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the page to submit your application.
    In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application.
  • Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number.
    To apply for a Certificate of Authority in order to collect sales tax, visit
  • Department of Buildings Document
    You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Occupancy, Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (expiring no less than 30 days from date of application submission), or Letter of No Objection from the Department of Buildings (DOB) confirming that your premises is suitable to operate your business. If you submit a Certificate of Occupancy or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, it must be the most current version and show approval of the premises for "Use Group 16" and designation of "Sale of Used Cars," "Motor Vehicles Sales Lot," or "Use Group 9" accompanied with "Automobile Showroom" or "Car Sales."
  • Fingerprints and Processing Fee.
    All sole proprietors, general partners, corporate officers, principals, directors, members, and all shareholders owning more than 10% of company stock must schedule an appointment with IdentoGO to be fingerprinted:
    • Visit
    • Enter:
      • Service Code. Enter 1585KT
      • Agency ID. Enter numbers only from Application Number. Application Number is on your receipt or confirmation letter when you apply online. Example: For Application Number 1234567-2023-AHIC, enter only 12345672023 as Agency ID.
    • Follow the instructions and pay the required fee(s).
    IMPORTANT: Anyone required to be fingerprinted should schedule an appointment as soon as possible to complete this requirement.
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation, if applicable (download Affirmation).
    Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
    Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.

  • License Fee.
    License Period: 2 years | Expiration Date: July 31, Odd Years.
If You File Your Application Between These Dates: License Fee Option 1 License Fee Option 2
From August 1 in an odd year to January 31 in an even year Pay $600 for a license expiring July 31 of the next odd year. (Valid for at most 24 months.) N/A
From February 1 in an even year to July 31 in an even year Pay $450 for a license expiring July 31 of the soonest odd year. (Valid for at most 18 months.) N/A
From August 1 in an even year to January 31 in an odd year Pay $300 for a license expiring July 31 of the soonest odd year. (Valid for at most 12 months.) N/A
From February 1 in an odd year to July 31 in an odd year Pay $150 for a license expiring July 31 of the same odd year. (Valid for at most 6 months.) Pay $750 for a license expiring July 31 of the next odd year. (Valid for at most 30 months.)

Pay by:

○ Check or money order payable to DCWP. (In person)
○ Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only). You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or online)

Application Filing Process

File Online

  1. Review requirements and gather all materials.
  2. Click the Apply Online button below to login or create an account to start your online license application.

Apply Online Button

Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCWP License page to read requirements and proceed to the next online application.


File In Person
Schedule an appointment to file in person at the DCWP Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center

42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.

90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.

By Email:
By Phone*: Call (212) 436-0441. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)

*This number is to schedule an appointment for in-person service only. For general questions, email

Free Interpretation Services are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, visit our Accommodations page.

Additional Resources for Secondhand Dealer Auto

  • For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit
  • Used car dealers in New York City are now required to provide consumers with a Consumer Bill of Rights, a financing disclosure form, where applicable, and a cancellation option—all of which must be in the language used to negotiate the contract. Get forms in 11 languages.

Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCWP will provide to you.