Pawnbroker License Application Checklist

Who Must Have a Pawnbroker License?

As defined in New York State General Business Law (GBL) §52, a “collateral loan broker” (also known as a “pawnbroker”) is a person, partnership, or corporation that loans money on deposit or pledge of personal property or buys personal property and sells it back at a set price.

This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Pawnbroker license.

Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Home Improvement Contractor License

See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCWP can only consider complete applications for license issuance.

  • Basic License Application
  • Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number
  • Copy of $10,000 Surety Bond, properly signed
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
  • Fingerprints and Processing Fee
  • License Fee

Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.

Additional City or State Permits/Licenses/Clearances You May Need

  • Once you obtain your Pawnbroker license, you must file a registration statement with the New York State Comptroller. Registration statements are available at

This is not meant to be a complete list. See Additional Resources section.

Important Message about Business Certificate

You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure. Although DCWP does not require submission of your Business Certificate in order to process your application, DCWP may request this document under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.

Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.

Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.

Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. You can check your status at


DCWP will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:

  • Basic License Application.
    Online submission: After reviewing the requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the page to submit your application.
    In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application.
  • Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number.
    To apply for a Certificate of Authority in order to collect sales tax, visit
  • Copy of your $10,000 Surety Bond, properly signed.
    The copy of the bond must name the City of New York as the Certificate Holder. Your corporate name, Doing-Business-As (DBA) name (if any), and premises address must be exactly the same on all documents. You must also submit a copy of the bond receipt showing that the bond has been paid in full and does not expire before the end of the licensing period.
    Download a list of bonding companies. Note: The list is not exhaustive, and DCWP does not endorse or recommend any particular bonding company.
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation, if applicable (download).
    Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
    Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
  • Fingerprints and Processing Fee.
    All sole proprietors, general partners, corporate officers, principals, directors, members, and all shareholders owning more than 10% of company stock must schedule an appointment with IdentoGO to be fingerprinted:
    • Visit
    • Enter:
      • Service Code. Enter 1585GF
      • Agency ID. Enter numbers only from Application Number. Application Number is on your receipt or confirmation letter when you apply online. Example: For Application Number 1234567-2023-AHIC, enter only 12345672023 as Agency ID.
    • Follow the instructions and pay the required fee(s).
    IMPORTANT: Anyone required to be fingerprinted should schedule an appointment as soon as possible to complete this requirement.
  • License Fee.
    License Period:
    1 year
    Expiration Date:
    April 30 
    License Fee
    If You File Your Application Between These Dates: Option 1
    Option 2
    From May 1 to October 30 Pay $500 for a license expiring April 30 of the following year. N/A
    From November 1 to December 31 Pay $250 for a license expiring April 30 of the following year. (Valid for at most 6 months)
    Pay $750 for a license expiring April 30 of the year following the next year. (Valid for at most 18 months)
    From January 1 to April 30 Pay $250 for a license expiring April 30 of the same year. (Valid for at most 4 months) Pay $750 for a license expiring April 30 of the following year. (Valid for at most 16 months)

    Pay by:

    ○ Check or money order payable to DCWP. (In person)
    ○ Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only).
      You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or online)

Application Filing Process

File Online

  1. Review requirements and gather all materials.
  2. Click the Apply Online button below to login or create an account to start your online license application.

Apply Online Button

Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCWP License page to read requirements and proceed to the next online application.


File In Person
Schedule an appointment to file in person at the DCWP Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center

42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.

90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.

By Email:
By Phone*: Call (212) 436-0441. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)

*This number is to schedule an appointment for in-person service only. For general questions, email

Free Interpretation Services are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, visit our Accommodations page.

Additional Resources for Pawnbrokers

  • For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit

Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCWP will provide to you.