Information for Tobacco and/or Electronic Cigarette Retail Dealers
Limited Opportunity to Apply for the Tobacco Retail Dealer License Lottery
By law, the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) has conducted a review of Tobacco Retail Dealer licenses in each Community District to determine if the number of current licenses has fallen below the Community District cap. DCWP determined that the following Community Districts have available licenses:
- Bronx Community District 1
- Bronx Community District 9
- Brooklyn Community District 5
- Brooklyn Community District 16
Download the Tobacco Retail Dealer License Lottery packet which includes The City Record Notice, Application, and Frequently Asked Questions.
- The period to apply for the lottery begins Tuesday, November 1, 2022 and ends Wednesday, November 30, 2022. DCWP must receive your completed Available Tobacco Retail Dealer License Lottery Application by 5:00 p.m. on November 30, 2022. Submit a lottery application online!
- If the address where you operate your business is not within the Community Districts where there are available Tobacco Retail Dealer licenses, you cannot apply for the lottery. Visit communityprofiles.planning.nyc.gov to look up a Community District based on a business address.
- If your business is randomly selected to apply for a Tobacco Retail Dealer license, you must submit a complete license application within 65 days of receiving DCWP’s offer to apply. Receiving an offer to apply does not mean you are automatically licensed.
- There is no available Electronic Cigarette Retail Dealer License Lottery at this time.
Community District Caps
Community district caps for Tobacco Retail Dealer licenses took effect February 24, 2018. Community district caps for Electronic Cigarette Retail Dealer licenses took effect April 26, 2018. For a list of the current community district caps, visit NYC Open Data at opendata.cityofnewyork.us and search “tobacco retail dealer.”.
Tobacco and E-cigarette Control Laws
As of July 1, 2020, tobacco and e-cigarette retail stores in New York City are only allowed to sell products with specific flavors.
- Stores with an e-cigarette license may sell e-cigarettes or e-liquids/liquid nicotine that are tobacco-flavored or unflavored. This includes all disposable, refillable and tank-based vaping products.
- Stores with a tobacco license may sell cigarettes with tobacco or menthol flavors. They may also sell other tobacco products that are unflavored or are tobacco-, menthol-, mint- or wintergreen-flavored.
Learn more including FAQs by visiting the NYC Department of Health at nyc.gov/health
Local Law 191 of 2017
As of April 14, 2018, it is illegal to sell non-tobacco shisha, herbal cigarettes, rolling papers, and other smoking-related paraphernalia to individuals under 21 years of age in New York City. Download Age Restriction Sign