Special Inspection Agency (SIA)
STEP 1: Complete SIA1 Application
Access the SIA1: Special Inspection Agency Registration application form. Complete all sections (1 through 9) and be sure to provide the following:
- Section 1 – Mark Renewal option.
- Section 4 – Provide handwritten Social Security Number. (PE/ RA Directors ONLY)
- Section 6 – Provide endorsement information as indicated in the existing registration. Access existing registration:
- Section 8 – Provide information for Convictions and Fines.
- Section 9 – Provide name, date, signature and seal for Primary Director indicated in Section 4.
STEP 2: Complete SIA1 Cover Sheet
- Complete all sections on the SIA1 Cover Sheet. Be sure to calculate fees accurately.
STEP 3: Prepare Payment
Pay with check or electronic payment
Check/Money Order Option – Complete check for the amount indicated in the SIA cover sheet. Make check payable to NYC Department of Buildings.
Electronic payment Option – Special Inspection Agencies can pay their registration fees through our www.nyc.gov/licensepayment. After your online payment is processed, you will receive a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject description will be Department of Buildings Payment Confirmation.
STEP 4: Gather Supporting Documents (for PE or RA Directors only)
- Gather the following forms:
- Government-issued photo ID for Primary Director. Copy of photo ID is required. Acceptable identification includes:
- State ID
- Driver’s License
- Proof of NYC business address or proof of filing with NYS Secretary of State. Acceptable proof of business address includes:
- Lease (with NYC address)
- LIC 50 Authorization for Service of Process by Agent (agreement for someone with New York City address to act as an agent of service)
- NYS Secretary of State business filing
- Utility bills such as gas, electric, water, cable, or telephone will not be accepted
- NYS Workers Compensation Certificate or waiver. Acceptable proof of workers compensation includes:
- Submit C-105.2 Certification, or
- Exemption form
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance. Submit the Accord form provided by your insurance provider.
- Accreditation certificate for Class 1 inspection categories. Acceptable accreditation certificates must be issued by a recognized accrediting body.
STEP 5: Mail SIA Application Package
- SIA application package includes:
- SIA Cover Sheet
- SIA1 Form (signed, sealed, and dated)
- All supporting documents from STEP 4
- Check/Money Order or copy of confirmation email from email@example.com
- Mail application package to the following address:
New York City Department of Buildings
Licensing & Exams Unit
Attn: Special Inspection Agency Registration
280 Broadway, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10007