License Renewal: Special Rigger
To renew your Special Rigger License, renewal applications must be submitted online at nyc.gov/dobnow. The Licensing & Exams Unit is not accepting any walk-in transactions, or paper applications for this process.
STEP 1: Renewal Application Submission
Special Riggers must submit all required documents in PDF format via the DOB NOW Portal. Special Riggers that do not currently have an eFiling account will need to create an account by completing the registration form. If you already have an eFiling account, please proceed to STEP 2.
STEP 2: Upload Supporting Documentation
To complete the online renewal process, Special Riggers must submit the following documents in PDF format via the DOB NOW Portal in the BIS Options section:
NOTE: See the Licensing Renewal Application User Guide for Step-by-Step directions.
- Original, typewritten LIC2 License Application
- if you have more than one business, you must submit two (2) LIC2 applications with the Primary and Secondary business information reversed on each application
- partners/officers correspond with the primary business on each application
- recent utility bill (electric, gas, water), bank statement lease of deed with the Licensee’s name and address if the home address has changed
- Completed, typewritten LIC34: Licensing Supplemental Affidavit (if applicable)
- LIC51: Voluntary Authorization for Service of Process application
- Completed Buildings Physical Examination Form (LIC61) signed by a physician (must be completed within 90 days prior to submission)
- Child Support Certification Form
- Proof of Compliance with substance Abuse Provisions
- Typed and notarized letter from the licensee listing the name, address and telephone number of the laboratory that performed the substance abuse test and a statement giving consent for the laboratory to the release such information to the Department upon request.
- Completed LIC70: Designation of Rigging/Sign Hanging Foreman Application (LIC70 Instructions); if you do not have any foreman, the Licensee must submit a notarized letter on their company letterhead.
- Copy of current/expired Department of Buildings Special Rigger License card
- Photo ID (Driver’s license, State ID, or Passport)
- Original 8-hour Refresher Course Certificate from a Department-approved Course Provider (must be completed within one (1) year prior to renewal)
- $75.00 Renewal Fee – paid at the time of renewal submission via the online portal
- $125.00 Late Renewal Fee (includes $75.00 renewal fee and $50.00 late fee) – paid at the time of renewal submission via the online portal
- $5.00 per Foreman Card – paid for at the time of renewal submission via online portal
NOTE: To avoid a $50.00 late fee, renewal applications must be submitted 30-90 days before the expiration date indicated on your license card.
STEP 3: Obtaining Your License Card
You will receive your license card by mail (If you have no designated rigging foreman).
- Riggers with foremen will need to come in to pick up their license and foremen cards. You will be notified by a QA Administrator when to come in to receive the cards.