Administration for Children's Services311Search all websites


Do you have concerns about our services?

ACS is here to help and listen. You can make ACS better.

The Office of Advocacy provides information and responds to the concerns of parents, youth, foster parents, and others affected by the child welfare system, juvenile justice system, and other ACS services. We also answer questions from the general public. All contact with the Office of Advocacy is confidential unless there are safety issues, especially those safety issues concerning a child.

Contact the Office of Advocacy

If you need assistance, please contact the Office of Advocacy.

Main Office: 150 William Street, New York, NY 10038, 1st Floor
Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 4:00PM

Appointments are strongly encouraged. To schedule an appointment, call the helpline: (212) 676-9421

Please note: If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, please do NOT forward your concern to the Office of Advocacy. This phone number and email address are not monitored 24/7.

If you suspect abuse or neglect, please contact the New York Statewide Central Register of Abuse or Maltreatment (SCR) at 1-800-342-3720. You can call toll-free and anonymously. If you believe a child is in immediate danger, please call 911.

Our team of advocates can help by

  • Giving you information about your rights and responsibilities
  • Assisting with a concern or communication issue between you and ACS, or another agency under contract with ACS, and
  • Sharing your concerns with ACS leadership and other agencies to improve services

Common issues handled by the Office of Advocacy include

  • Explaining child welfare and juvenile justice policies and procedures to parents, families, and youth
  • Helping parents with children in foster care obtain services they need in order to be reunited
  • Providing youth with information about their rights and responsibilities, and information about resources available to them
  • Supporting visits between families and children in foster care
  • Helping extended families (for example: an aunt, uncle, cousin, or grandparent) continue relationships with children in ACS' care

Understand that the Office of Advocacy cannot

  • Challenge or attempt to influence a Judge's decision in your case
  • Conduct our own investigation of an active Child Protective case

If the Office of Advocacy cannot help you directly, we will direct you to people who can help.