Become a Volunteer
Each year hundreds of volunteers donate hours of service to the hospital. The ways in which volunteers give of their time and talents are endless. Some even create special programs, using their own special skills and interests. Volunteers often find that by giving service to others, they enrich their own lives in ways that they had never expected.
What can I do as a volunteer?
No matter what your choices and skills are, there are many opportunities. Here is a sample of volunteer activities that you could be a part of:
- Personal services for patients, like reading aloud or writing letters
- Escorting patients to and from activities
- Assisting occupational and physical therapists
- Assisting with art therapy programs and chaplains
- Providing entertainment, such as music, magic, or comedy, to adults or children
- Playing with children and babies
- Tutoring pediatric patients
- Interpreting for patients who do not speak English
- Patient counseling and advocacy
- Gardening and landscaping
- Clerical and computer work in almost any department
What are the requirements?
Time Commitment: Volunteers are asked to commit to a specific number of hours weekly. We also ask them to commit to a minimum length of service. This helps to support continuity of services for patients.
Training: Some programs, such as interpreting language, advocating for patients or counseling, require special training. Our training programs are free. Quite often our volunteers learn new skills that help them professionally.
Medical Requirements: Lincoln requires volunteers to take a physical. The physical includes a PPD test for tuberculosis, and immunization for tetanus, chicken pox, measles, mumps and rubella.
Are there any benefits?
Volunteers can receive a free meal, if they work three consecutive hours. Some volunteer programs provide academic credit, if arrangements have been made with your high school or college.
How can I volunteer at Lincoln?
Call the Director of Volunteer Services at (718) 579-5111 to arrange for an interview. We can help you find the perfect program. Volunteer Services is located on the first floor of the hospital.